Manual music management

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by rwm28juni, Mar 27, 2010.

1. rwm28juni

rwm28juni New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have iPod Touch and I'm curious as to whether it is possible to SSH to your iDevice and put music on it, and this is the difficult part, somehow making the actual Apple Music app recognize it?

Thanks
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    why would you want to do that?
  3. rwm28juni

rwm28juni New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First of all to circumvent syncing of any kind, not just iTunes. Secondly, I like to be organised and well... what you get from syncing is just a bunch of files with strange name, and while you can see the actual names with iFile, it leaves a lot to be desired. Finally, if I were to lose my computer with the music backup, I will have all my files in the right folder with the right names.
  4. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No, you can't do that. You can sync them and play them with iFile, but you can't put them in the music library.
  5. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    if you were ever to loose ur computer ur could always ssh and grab those media files and drop and drag em onto ur pc.
  6. rwm28juni

rwm28juni New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    But wouldn't it be possible to drag and drop them in the media folder and then somehow update the music library?

EDIT: Actually, if you go to /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/iTunes Library.itlp, there are several files that could possibly edited, I think, because Locations.itdb for example, has the file names listed. Although I'm not a computer expert, I would say it should be possible to write a program to update this list.