Manual Application Removal thru SSH

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Sarcoise, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Sarcoise

Sarcoise New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    This is kinda a two part question. I wanted to remove some of those lame games that you download for free thru Cydia or Rock and was unable to do so from the springboard "wiggle" routine. After googling and only coming up with the "Remove any applications installed via Cydia thru Cydia/Manage/Packages" routine (which did not work, the games i had d/led were not listed here) I decided to try it on my own. I needed to do a restore anyways.

Well, I SSH'd into my iPod, dug thru the directory structure till I found what I was looking for and removed the entire folder.
    /private/var/stash/Applications.Woah6J/(app. name)

Immediately afterwards, the icon still sat on the springboard, although tapping it did nothing. Then a strange thing happened: The icon magically disappeared in front of my eyes!

I'm new to Unix/MacOS. But I know from Windows experience that files never just magically remove themselves after seeing they are unwanted. Even if some remnants were just housed in a cache or registry somewhere, they are still there.

My question is

1) Is this an accepted method of removing unwanted applications? Did I actually remove the entire application?

and...

2) Why was I unable to remove the app through Cydia/Manage/Packages in the manner that was being shuved down my throat on so many websites?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I managed to pull off jailbreaking and the many joys that come with it based from post solely on this website. I had never seen it down nor knew anyone that had done it.

Some bckgrnd info..

iPod Touch 3.1.2, Late 2009.
    BlackRa1n'd
    32g

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Apps installed through Cydia or Rock should be uninstalled from Cydia or Rock.. you only need to manually uninstall those that you have installed manually.
  3. Sarcoise

Sarcoise New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Wow.. Must not have read my entire post. Is it considered a "manual" install when you download thru Rock and choose "install"? Thats how the games in question were installed. However they were not listed in the Rock list of apps. I had several that acted this way. I realize how to uninstall apps thru Cydia, as mentioned above.

Anyone else..?
  4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

After deleting the app manually, did you respring to reload the SpringBoard? Just deleting the app does nothing unless you respring; and when you install packages through the normal installers, they reload the springboard cache.

Also, if they're packages, they SHOULD show up in Cydia or Rock under the packages list, even if they weren't downloaded through Cydia; they register themselves in the database when you use dpkg -i to install them; the only thing they'll be missing is a source (they'll show "From Unknown Source" instead of "From ModMyI"). That is, of course, unless you installed them by SSHing them onto the iPod. Be advised that, unlike Windows, the apps are basically self-contained save for the extra preferences plist they drop in /Library/Preferences or in some other system folder as needed. But that's why you use Manage Packages in Cydia or Rock to remove them.
  5. Sarcoise

Sarcoise New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Jarlath, thanks for the intelligent response.

As far as I recall, I never had to respring. I simply deleted the folder as mentioned above, at first the icon was still there, then it wasn't. It is possible I went into then exited a application that respring'd for me, if thats the only way possible for this to happen.

The games in question were installed by loading Rock, going to Categories, Games, then "Block Dude" or whatever, install, confirm. I never unpackaged them, this was done by the app or Rock upon completing the download I assume.

Since the packages are self contained, then I pretty much removed them by deleting the folder, right? That is what I was really concerned with finding out.

Thanks for the help.