Manage apps from Ubuntu

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by digitalhead, May 18, 2010.

1. digitalhead

digitalhead New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I am an Ubuntu user, but when I got my iPod Touch, I had to install Windows for itunes. Now that Ubuntu 10.04 can read the new idevices including the iPT to sync music, I was wondering if there is any way to manage the apps as well. It's kind of pointless to have 40GB of my hard drive partitioned off just to run iTunes in Windows for the apps.

I know about managing them through the app store on the device, but the modem/router that came with my internet service doesn't seem to like the app store in that method, and it's locked down so I can't fix the problems.

Any advice is appreciated.
  2. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    whoa u can use Ubuntu with iPhones??? This is epic news for me!
  3. digitalhead

digitalhead New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah, it wasn't even announced, but some people started noticing it was working while 10.04 was in the alpha stages. I don't know if it works in anything but Rhythmbox, but music syncing is very simple now. I'll do more testing with other music programs if I can get the app management under control.

... If there isn't any way to manage the apps through Ubuntu, what about possible workarounds for getting the App Store working with my router? Just remember, I can't configure the router itself, which annoys me to no end since I can't even do website testing over the network. I know the obvious solution would be to get a new router of my own and switch the modem/router for just a base modem, but I'm rather strapped for cash right now.
  4. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  5. digitalhead

digitalhead New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Is that supposed to be a no? I know there are other things that can work with touch devices on Ubuntu and that the root filesystem can be accessed through OpenSSH, which also gives access to the application directories.

Anything? I just want to be able to install and update apps without having to boot into Windows.
  6. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
  7. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    No, that is a yes.
  8. digitalhead

digitalhead New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'm guessing you're talking about using ideviceinstall. First, I have been trying to get it to work for about a week with no luck. Second, according to everything I've read about it, it can't update existing or install new apps, only backup, restore, or remove apps. It's a little odd that the program doesn't do what the name suggests.

Thanks for the attempt though.
  9. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You are wrong. It works perfectly.