Making/Receiving Calls on New Ipod touch 3G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dharmenjp, Oct 2, 2009.

1. dharmenjp

dharmenjp New Member

I'm sorry but I'm completely new to the Ipod world. I'm thinking about getting the new IPod Touch 3g. Is it possible to make and receive calls from VOIP services. If so which ones? I saw past threads from last year telling people how to do it but not sure if that works anymore. Also, an issue that I read about is you have to have the application open in order to receive calls (like you have to have skype open). Is that true or is there a way you can still receive calls even when you are doing something else or not using your phone at all? I'm pretty sure ipod touch has everything an iphone has except phone calling
  2. SoWavY45

SoWavY45 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Backgrounder May Help With That
  3. david.7.x

david.7.x New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    first off you need an internet connection at all times and when you turn off the ipod screen and leave the fring program open it doesnt recieve calls also you can only have one account logged in at a time like VOIP Buster and be logged of with VOIP Stunt and one is to make calls and one is to recieve so its anoying having to logg off and on... i'd rather install skype and pay a plan or buy a card to make calls so yea bro.... im prety sure that the app needs to be open at all times(im talking about Fring) to recieve or make calls and its not free its only free for a few calls then you have to pay. also umm the person recieving your income call has like an echo for some reason with fring just get skype. =)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    HE said ipod 3G lol its not jailbroken yet how can he install backgrounder ........
  4. dharmenjp

dharmenjp New Member

with skype..the app has to be open to receive calls? Is there a way of having skype open at all times in the background so you can do everything else normally? WIFI i dont have to worry about because my home connection gives free wifi coverage all over the state..
  5. one2many

one2many Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Apple currently doesn't support having multiple applications open at one time (besides music). So the only way to achieve that is to jailbreak and use backgrounder and I'm not sure if that supports the 3G touch yet.
  6. dharmenjp

dharmenjp New Member

with backgrounder.an app like skype will stay open the whole time so that people can call you on your skype number through the ipod?
  7. scimanalone

scimanalone New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I installed Fring on my Itouch 3G (32G) and set up SIP calls via VoIPStrunt and VoIPCheap. Intially I could make phone calls through both VoIPStrunt and VoIPCheap. After a few days, none of them works. I can hear the ring sound, but can not call out. Can anyone tell a solution to this problem?