Making an iPhone app

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by SebboSticks, Jun 1, 2009.

1. SebboSticks

SebboSticks New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking about making iPhone apps.
    Just wondering do I need to buy the SDK? Or can I get a different SDK from apple purely for apps? But it would seem the SDK an app builder would need is the OS 3.0 SDK. Which is too expensive for me! I'm just trying to get on the app train, I'm not going to make the next Flight Control!

Cheers guys.
  2. BMatt

BMatt New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The SDK is free from Apple, but to submit apps or develop for 3.0, you need to be in the Dev Program, which is $99 (either once, or yearly, I'm not sure) at the least. (There is a more expensive option, I believe). These only work on Macs though.
  3. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    the current SDK is free for download, just sign-up for apple's developer program (it is free!) and then download the SDK from member-cp

the only thing you can't do is to release apps/submit them to the appqtore - for that you need an active subscription which costs 99$ per year

but just to try out and/or learn the SDK it is free for everyone
    another hint: testing on your local ipod touch/iphone is not possible without tricking xcode (self-code-signing + jailbreak, google that)

ok, at the moment it is just the 2.x SDK but after the 3.0 release the SDK for OS 3.0 will also become free for everybody, I think.
  4. SebboSticks

SebboSticks New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, cheers.

I googled it and some guy said you also need an intel based mac!? I was mortified!
  5. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yes, a mac is obviously needed for the SDK - the only options for usual PCs (x86 or x64) is to use a hackintosh distro (hacked mac os x OS to run on all platforms)

I have a Kalyway 10.5.2 up and updated it to 10.5.5 and I can use the SDK on my self-built computer without any problems

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You could also run it in VMWare, provided you don't mind waiting 2 hours for everything
  7. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    you cannot run os x in vmware without massive hacks^^ or using the prepared VM (to be found in the to**ent network)

the only well working option at the moment is the hackintosh one if it works on your machine...