Making a huge decision. Need consult

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ledzeppeman, Aug 8, 2010.

1. ledzeppeman

ledzeppeman New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So I'm planning on buying an iPhone 3g or 3gs and I plan on unlocking and jailbreaking. I have a few questions for people who have already been there.

1. I plan on using t mobile's smartphone unlimited 40 dollar data package on a sim card. Will this work for an unlocked iPhone since there is no voice plan?

2. I also plan to use google voice to make unlimited sms and phone calls from said iPhone. You must be in a wifi area to do this so I intend to use a 3g manipulator to make it read the 3g as wifi. Can anyone confirm that all this will work? Is there any discrepancy in GVoice or the manipulator?

3. Will Google Voice work on a phone without voice service?

Please help me make a decision as to weather or not to spend all that money. All help is much appreciated. Thank you one and all.
  2. RubyRa1n

RubyRa1n Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    First off get a 3gs and seconed u should probabaly put this thread in the iPhone part of the forums
  3. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Thx for spamming lPod

Please Register or Log in to view images

@B2T:
    1. Yes it will.
    2. It should work. But im not 100% sure.
    3. Yes.
  4. ledzeppeman

ledzeppeman New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    @iPod:

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with these forums and Why 3gs? What massive advantage does it have over 3g?

@Lux2gs:
    Thank you so much; all of your advice is very helpful. Would you mind my asking as to how to know number 1 (and how sure you are) considering your info says ipod touch.
  5. S1xtyG33K

S1xtyG33K Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    3GS just has way better features and alot of more storage then 3G.
  6. ledzeppeman

ledzeppeman New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Wow, you just got banned? 7 min ago? wtf did you do? And yeah, I've looked at them and all I see is that the 3gs has a better camera and a slightly faster processor. I use emulators a lot and I don't think I need a 3gs to run them smoothly and I would like to spend as little money as possible.
  7. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    You'll want a 3GS. Why? Because it isn't end of life yet. I almost guarantee that, as of iOS5, the iPhone 3G will not he compatible. Don't buy something that is already dead.

Anyways, the guy had multiple accounts, and was trolling. That's why he was banned.
  8. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yes I have an iPod, but Google Services (The same as the Skype services) go over Data, and not voice. So you should have no problem.
  9. ledzeppeman

ledzeppeman New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    okay, I do have a question applying to GVoice though. I was looking at the cydia app released under the modmyi repo on my 3g touch. it says that I need to enter the number of the phone I'm using before I can place calls. Would that be the number on the Tmobile sim? If so, it would connect me through that number causing me to be charged???? Sorry, I've never used voice or skype before. advice would be nice.
  10. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I had a 1g iPod touch and later got an iPhone 3GS. You're really going to want the 3GS if you plan on using it for emulation. I can get snes, nes, gb, and gba running at full speed, with PSX running pretty good as well on the 3GS