Make your own ipod touch dock

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by thomasevz, Jul 19, 2009.

1. thomasevz

thomasevz Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Right I found this site that shows u how to make an ipod touch dock
    Source-http://www.persistenceunlimited.com/2008/11/ipoddock/

This is one of those Saturday afternoon projects that turned out much better than even I imagined.

ultimate ipod dock

I was needing a docking cradle for my iPod touch, but two things bothered me about buying one. First, I didn’t want to spend the money. But I also didn’t want to bring another piece of plastic gadgetry into the house if I could avoid it.

It occurred to me my iPod touch 2G came in an attractive jewel case. Perhaps there’d be some way to convert it into a docking cradle. Sure enough, there was a way and the results were jaw dropping!

Supplies needed

Here’s what you need:supplies needed to build ultimate ipod dock

* Leatherman
    * Dremel with cutting blade
    * Sharpie
    * Jewel case used in packing your iPod 2G
    * Plastic docking adapter that came with iPod 2G
    * Sync cable

Step 1. Outline the cut pattern on top of jewel case

Center the dock adapter under the TOP of the jewel case. Then outline the INSIDE curves of the adapter. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect, the top of the dock adapter will cover mistakes.

trace cutting edges
    Step 2: Carefully cut out a square with Dremel cutting blade

Take your dremel and cut a square in the plastic. This makes the rest of the cutting easier. Take your time and make this as accurate as possible. One false move and you’ll put an ugly scratch in your case.

cut a square with dremel
    Step 3: Carefully SCORE the rest of pattern with Dremel

With the Dremel blade, simply follow your sharpie pattern. I was able to cut some of the plastic away. But I simply scored the rounded sides so I could finish with my Leatherman. Also notice, I did NOT cut out space for the dock adapter tabs. Later, you’ll be able to hook those in place.

scoring the rest of the plastic
    Step 4: File the clear plastic until the dock adapter fits perfectly

This might take some time. Simply file around the edges with your Leatherman until the dock adapter fits.

file until perfect fit
    Step 5: File a v-notch into both side of Sync cable

Your sync cable will eventually snap into the dock adapter. In order to do this, you need to cut and file a v-notch into each side of the top attachment near the top. (Double click the pictures to see).

v-notch the top of the sync cable v-notch
    Step 6: File down “hooks” if your cable has them

Older ipod sync cables had hooks in them to keep your iPod attached. If yours is one of these, you’ll need to file down the hooks. Simply hold your Leatherman / file on a table and scrape the top sides of the sync components until the hooks are gone.

file off hooks
    Step 7: File hole in dock adapter so it can fit top of sync cable (keep it snug)

Out of the box, the hole in the dock adapter is not large enough to fit the top of your sync cable. So get to filing. You will need to file all edges of the hole to make it wider and longer. Tip: Frequently insert the sync cable to make sure you aren’t making the hole too big. You want it to just barely fit so it can support the weight of your iPod. Eventually, it will snap into place.
    DSC01095-25%
    Step 8: Snap top of sync cable into dock adapter

After carefully filing, you see the top of your sync adapter barely fits into the hole. Keep pressure on it until it snaps into place.

insert sync cable snapped into place
    Step 9: File notch into bottom of jewel case for sync cable to go to computer

Almost done. File a notch approximately 1/2 inch long one one of the long edges of the bottom of the case. You will probably want it centered but you can go an inch to the left or right if you prefer.

file a notch in the case bottom
    Step 10: Finally, put it all togetherput it together

1. Insert the dock adapter into the top of the case by hooking the tabs under the clear plastic and pressing it down flush with the top of the case.
    2. Place the cable over the hole you filed in the bottom of the case
    3. Close the top of case to the bottom.
    4. Youre done!

Step 11: Enjoy your new dock! P.S. It doubles as a storage case

Again, this dock looks far better in person than in the pictures. It works great too.

Remember, you can always pack up your earphones, cable, polishing cloth and other small accessories into this dock. You might even choose to put the iPod in it too. But you have to take it apart more.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. wyndwarrior

wyndwarrior Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Dang, I wish I kept my case.
  3. thomasevz

thomasevz Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Im in the middle of doing mine its really cool but just cut my finger with the knife and I stopped for a bit.
  4. wyndwarrior

wyndwarrior Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ooh...

Please Register or Log in to view images

Ouch!
  5. thomasevz

thomasevz Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Im ok now the bleeding has stopped.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    If anyone dose make one of these post it and see what it looks like . I will post mine when it is finished.
  6. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    That does look pretty handy. Nice find. I love these DIY guides. Great way to kill time.
  7. thomasevz

thomasevz Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yeh as it says one of those saturday afternoon projects
  8. Snowballwarrior

Snowballwarrior Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    That is a really nice dock
  9. thomasevz

thomasevz Member