make terminal stay in root

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by yz-125, May 4, 2008.

1. yz-125

yz-125 Member

is there any way I can make terminal on 1.1.4 start as logged into root instead of mobile? Because to do anything I have to type login root then alpine and I can't use some apps that run commands when launcehed
  2. yz-125

yz-125 Member

bump~
  3. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    I don't get this whole thing with terminal asking for a login as mine has never done that. Maybe using a different version of term-vt100 would be the quick solution. If I find a way to do what you mentioned I will be sure to let you know.

I guess I updated mine and now I have issues too!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Can log in as root but password "alpine" does not work
  4. fatboy

fatboy New Member

I was having the same problem (jpga13 knows the fun I have been having!) and had the same problem with Terminal app on the touch.

Did a bit of digging around and as of 1.1.4 you cannot log directly into root on the touch - this is due to the SDK that is out/coming out. The worry was if you could get root on an application, people could code malicious apps to do dodgy things so for now you can only log in as mobile.

However, even after that I couldn't log in using TerminalV or mobile Terminal BUT if you install Term-vt100 (Version svn278) that works and logs you in as 'mobile' so at least you can do some things - however, not useful if you want to ping etc!

At least you can log in though.

Ry
  5. goldenboy

goldenboy New Member

Yeah, the problem is annoying heck out of me becuase I rarely have access to wifi at my home now, and my makeshift wifi from my computer is slow (even though it says 54 mbps or w/e) and SSH arely has a connection long enough to input commands into. I can't chown anything anymore, the reboot command doesnt even work!
    its sooooo annoying. cant there be a way around this? would winpwn fix it?