make orb icons tutorial

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by WhatsMyName, Oct 19, 2010.

1. WhatsMyName

WhatsMyName New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    here is my first tutorial, hope it helps. i personally like orbs and orb effects, so in this tutorial i will
    show you how to make them and put them into photshop actions for faster icon making or what have you.

Please Register or Log in to view images

first, make your new file, im making mine the size of an icon 60x60 and make sure that the background set it transparent.
    also i am making my canvas bigger so it will be easier to see and work with.
    (had a pic, but too many for this post, 11 max, so, this is the one i can do without)
    second, open your elliptical marque tool and starting at a top corner, hold shift and drag to the bottom opposite corner
    dont deselct your circle you just made and make two more layers with the ants still circling

go back to your original layer and using the paint fill, fill the circle with what ever color yo want to make your orbs. preferably
    a dark version of your orb just to get the idea with better visualization before you get good at doing this.

next, you want to go to your second layer, with the ants still circling, fill that circle with a lighter version of that same color you picked
    do the same with the third layer with white.

now you can deselect the circles and make the third layer invisible for now by clicking on the little eye
    on the layers window. control+t/cmnd+t the second layer(the middle circle) and resize it till it looks like a little cigar
    and drag it to the bottom middle of your canvas within the dark circle, make sure you have a little space between the bottom of the circle
    and the bottom of the cigar you just made.

go to your filters/blur/gaussian blur and blur your cigar a little bit, not too much but enough to give it a
    blurred edge.

now, go back to your third layer make it visible again and cntrl+t/cmnd+t and adjust the size and shape of that white circle to an oval.

make a layer mask of that white oval and then pick your gradient tool. with the fore color white and the background color black on your color
    boxes click the bottom of that oval and drag it straight up to the top

change the opacity till it looks good to you. i prefer about 45-50%,
    now, go back to your first layer, the dark one and go to the blending options. select the inner shadow. set the lighting at -90 and the distance choke and size around 11-18,
    those are my preferences

merge visible layers and save it to "filename".png thats allyou now have a glass orb icon.

to make it an action for faster production, go to your actions window select new action, name it what you will and then record. when you are done,
    hit the stop button and there you will have your automatic orb maker!!