Make my own Repo

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by KingOfWar, Feb 18, 2008.

1. KingOfWar

KingOfWar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I want to make a repo for some themes and stuff that Installer can use. Is there a tutorial or anything that can help me?
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  3. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Unfortunately, it is posts like these that cause posts like this one. Andy Huang made some great points, and I personally don't agree with everything he says, but this really struck a chord: People keep asking how to make repos and it gets annoying.

I've followed crazyloof's excellent tutorial and received help from Scythal on command line zipping. I am angry because people keep spamming asking for help with their repos, which in turn causes anti-"pointless" repo sentiment, which makes me feel alienated because I have my own googlepages repo. I have never started a thread asking for help on repo making; but I feel like I've been tossed in the same boat with people who have know idea what they're doing.

So, here's my point: Please don't label me as a drain on society for making my own repo for my themes, wallpapers, and icons. I don't have enough time to learn how to make native apps or anything "useful". I still want to easily share my work at a small scale.

*The "how to make a repo threads" MUST stop. There is enough material on this site alone and on the wiki for you to figure it out. If you can't, don't bother.

I wanted to post this in response to Andy Huang's post, but the thread was closed.
  4. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just want to say, the post was intentionally written harsh, strong, and intended for readers to take it very personally. That way it delivers the stronggest effect and discourages useless repos that spits out
    (Yes, I've seen that Google Pages error so much that I memorized what it says now, even down to its approximate color)

While most of it is intended for people with nothing to offer (and I did semi bash the skin makers), its main intention is to discriminate people that just wants to make a repo for the sake of having one, and then let it rot after they lose interest. As I said in that thread, if you want to make one, go for it. But make sure its worth everyone's time. Alternatively, the easiest and most resource friendly method is to contact someone with a proper repo to see about distributing your package.

... oh, and you probably don't want to bother Skylar for hosting your style. If your style is good, he will contact you to see about including it in iPTF's repo. Everything style related should be posted in the style release forum for community review first, with manual install instructions. If it is good, we'll think about tracking it. Else you can contact the community repo people, as that's what "their jobs" are -- run a repo for the community.
  5. bichiliad

bichiliad New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Quick question:
    How do I find the package identifier?
  6. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Bundle identifier is something used internally and never really need to be known by end-line users. If you are developing the application, it follows the same format as Java's package naming convention; reverse domain, dot package / project.

IE:
    this is valid (though, not necessairly a real app): com.touchrepo.restartspringboard
    this is invalid: my.cool.package

If you have a large project involving sub items, you can have multiple dots after the reverse domain. For example:
    sc.repo.installeroptimization.sourcecleaner
    sc.repo.installeroptimization.updaterepolink
    etc.

Bundle Identifiers should be descriptive, but does not contain space, or any special character. It can make use of numbers if it is required to describe your project in a meaningful way.
  7. cooldud02123

cooldud02123 New Member

well go to u tube they have a guy on there that well show u what to do