Make custom logo w/e making a new ipsw.

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by gojohnnyboi, Mar 15, 2009.

1. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

my apologies for not rechecking my thread title. 'w/e' should be 'w/o'

EDIT 1: For those incapable of doing this: chris stroud and i are working as a cross-platform TEAM. he is updating redtool to do this for windows, while i'm making a nice os x gui.

For those who haven't caught on by now, this is actually very very simple. You use the imagetool program from xpwn. now, this doesn't come standard in a lot of precompiled bundles on teh internet for xpwn, so you may have to compile it yourself, or have somebody do it for you, but that's okay.

heres how. say you wish to make a new apple logo img3. you could do this:

*what you need*
    - the original applelogo.s5l8720x.img3
    - imagetool from xpwn
    - a png following the rules that xpwn and pwnagetool make you follow
    - they key and iv of the img3 for that img3 for your firmware(currently 2.2.1)

*how to do it*
    Code:
    ./imagetool inject *YOURIMAGE.png* *TARGET.img3* *STOCKAPPLELOGO.img3* *IV* *KEY*
    so for example, if you wanted to make a replacement apple logo for 2.2.1, you would run(with the original in the directory):
    Code:
    ./imagetool inject blah.png newapplelogo.img3 applelogo.s5l8720x.img3 62940272d1a3a34106e5bbf6d7c166ea e8fdd305f48de7c4f086ad17eec180e8
    it's fairly straightforward as you can see. now, to actually apply these, put them in your nor-only flash firmware, and restore through itunes with it.

For those wanting the keys and ivs to do this for apple logo/recovery logo on 2.2.1 untethered, i've taken the liberty of finding them for you.

http://pastie.org/392426

-John
  2. Legendairy

Legendairy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Great! But I think the thread title should be w/o not w/e

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyways... w/e

Thanks!
  3. jellixiz

jellixiz New Member

So... Go Go Go johnnyboi.
  4. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Since this is completely useless without imagetool, here it is.
    Chris Stroud is already working it into redTool, so you shouldn't have to wait long for a much easier method.
    Also, there are certain people who will try to package this before him, but I'd honestly wait for the updated redTool.

5. gojohnnyboi

chris and i are working as a cross-platform TEAM. he is updating redtool to do this for windows, while i'm making a nice os x gui.
  6. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, he mentioned that he was working with you.
    I simply posted the binary for anyone who wanted to do it manually; the other people I referred to aren't you (you probably know who they are already).
  7. Ranko95

Ranko95 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    theres no way to do this without a restore right?
  8. gojohnnyboi

you restore, but it takes less than 30 seconds, and NONE of your things are touched whatsoever. it only flashes the nor. it doesn't touch the root filesystem.

EDIT: you can manually write them into nor0 with bdev, but it requires a lot of work. to my understanding you have to have the img3 smaller than the one in the nor, pad it, flash it, etc.
  9. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I rethought my decision to post the binary, so I've made it private.
    I don't want to rush Chris, so you'll have to find it on your own.
    It was included in older XPwn packages, so if you can find a mirror of an old one, you may stumble upon it.
  10. gojohnnyboi

you realize you are in no way affecting anyone by posting it. imagetool has been around since day 1 of xpwn, and it's not a secret in any way.