Major iTunes Issues

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by justonesp00lturn, Jul 21, 2010.

1. justonesp00lturn

justonesp00lturn Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I had an 8GB iPod Touch 1G. The home button broke, so I had it jailbroken, and then things were fine, for a while.

But after a while, things stopped syncing properly. Songs I put on my iPod suddenly started showing up scrambled; they didn't skip, per se, but were totally scrambled. The song would play, then there would be a few random seconds of other parts of the song, then it would play a completely different part of the song, do it again, and then resume where it left off the first time. Sometimes, parts of songs would just be missing completely.

Then photos began to scramble, too. Parts and squares of pictures would be mixed with other pictures, or just be completely blank and gray.

Then the problem expanded, and it started to happen to songs and photos that had been on my iPod forever, without me having made any changes to them whatsoever.

For my birthday, my sister bought me a new iPod, a 32 GB 3rd Generation Touch. I set it up as a new ipod and transferred my library to it.

Today, I bought an album from iTunes, and I put it on the iPod. At least two of the songs are doing the silent thing again. I read around and found that some people had the problem fixed if they restarted their ipod or used different headphones. I've done both, and it didn't fix anything. I also checked to make sure it wasn't the files themselves; the songs play just fine on my computer.

So far, I haven't run across any songs doing the scramble thing (though with over 1300 songs on my iPod, I haven't listened to every one of them yet, so I can't confirm the issue.) I checked my entire photo library, and none of those are scrambled either. I should mention that I've been using the brand new USB cable that came with the new iPod, so I know the issue doesn't lie in the cable (I had assumed there was an issue with my former iPod's USB port itself, though it would appear that may not have been the case.)

So wtf is going on here? Because of the nature of the glitches, I can't even do any type of controlled experiment to nail down the source of the problems. Changes made to files don't take effect unless they're removed from the iPod and then put back onto it; but that usually takes care of the problem anyway (but with the former iPod, doing so didn't fix the other files on it.) Because of this, I can't simply sync from a different USB port or a different computer, or delete and reinstall iTunes and verify that fixes it; re-syncing alone could've been what fixed it.

Apple's support site was of absolutely no use whatsoever (as usual,) and in searching, I've seen cases featuring some of these symptoms, but not all of them, and definitely not all of them involving two completely different sets of iPods, charge cables, and headphones.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Or any ideas on how I could even try to narrow down the issue?

Since the new iPod isn't scrambling songs or photos, I can't even tell if it's the same glitch, or just a coincidence that two of them are having similar problems. The fact that they are makes me think it's a problem with either my USB port, my computer, my copy of iTunes (though it's been updated many times and the problems have persisted,) or even if it's my firewall (for some reason, I can't sync some apps through iTunes unless I completely shut down my firewall.)

If the problems would stay consistent, I could easily just try a few times, and narrow down where the problem is coming from. But since I have to completely remove and re-add the files, that method is of no use to me. I really don't want to have to inspect, remove, and re-sync every single file I ever put on the device. I don't think restoring will fix it, either (since it's now happened on two iPods.) I should mention, though, that when I first set this iPod up, I tried to update to 4.0, and ran into a fatal issue requiring me to restore. I then was stuck in a restore loop, where the restore would fail at the last second. I don't recall how I fixed it; it might've been shutting down my firewall again (if so, that would make me think all of these issues are firewall related, and if that's the case, I guess I'm just going to go without a firewall. I'm currently using the free edition of ZoneAlarm, and I've made sure all iTunes-related programs have full access to everything, but that doesn't seem to help.)

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. This is incredibly and ridiculously frustrating; I already feel bad that my sister bought me a $300 birthday gift, but I'll feel even worse should it turn out that my former iPod wasn't even having the problems I thought it was having. I don't know what to do, or where to even begin.
  2. rrroach

rrroach Well-Known Member

Have you tried completely reinstalling iTunes with standard settings?
  3. justonesp00lturn

justonesp00lturn Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I haven't. It's on my list of things to try. Again, since simply re-adding the files to the iPod sometimes solves the problem anyway, basically anything I try, I have no way of verifying whether that was what actually fixed it. Basically, I can try these things out, and if the problems are gone, they might just pop back up. But that's probably the only way to go about it; I'm going to be stuck testing various things out for months.

I started with shutting down my firewall, and then adding more music files (after closer inspection, at least one song was doing the entire scramble thing again.) I'll listen to the stuff I added with the firewall off, and see if any of it skips. If it does, I'll move on to reinstalling iTunes. If it doesn't... then it's either fixed, or it'll spring back up again later.

Mostly, I just feel bad that my sister bought me such an expensive gift when my old iPod was apparently not as broken as I had thought it was :/

If reinstalling doesn't work, I'm going to try again on a different computer. If the problem still persists? I guess I'll just stick both iPods up Steve Jobs's bum

Please Register or Log in to view images

But I'm pretty sure one of these has to fix it. And I'm actually thinking it might've had something to do with my firewall. I've used ZoneAlarm forever, and never had issues with it. Now the ZoneAlarm product is owned by some bigger company, and ever since then, I've had issues. For a while, my internet browser would randomly close if the firewall was running. No warning or anything, and it wouldn't even ask if I wanted to close all tabs. The whole thing would just shut down. And like I said, the device absolutely refused to restore while the firewall was running, and it also refuses to install apps through iTunes if it's running. So I guess I'm hoping it's just the stupid firewall.
  4. rrroach

rrroach Well-Known Member

It might be your firewall, but I've never heard of a firewall changing the functionality of a program. Usually, the firewalls will stop programs all together. I'd go with a free Anti-Virus like AVG; that's what I use.

Do these three things, and you are guaranteed to have a working system:
    1. Reinstall iTunes with standard settings, and then manually import your music files into the program. When I do this, I like iTunes to convert the files into a filetype that it likes by using a certain checkbox that can be found in the Edit>Preferences menu. If you can't find it, let me know. After you import the music, you'll have two copies of every music file, so make sure to delete the first set of files; you don't need them anymore.
    2. Disable your Firewall to PERMANENTLY permit iTunes to do whatever it wants. I think that iTunes is pretty secure.
    3. Restore your iPod (again), and make sure that you DO NOT restore from a backup. Once you try to get your iPod back to the way that it was before, try to not install anything from Cydia/Rock that you don't really need. These files can often cause problems. For example, I believe that SBSettings is screwing up the synchronization method that iTunes uses to sync album artwork imported from its store.

If that doesn't work, then I really don't know what to do. :\
  5. justonesp00lturn

justonesp00lturn Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I think you're referring to letting iTunes convert the files to AAC versions.
    That's the funny thing; my firewall has iTunes and all iTunes-related programs set to the maximum level of clearance. Unless there's another program I don't know about, like some background program.
    I didn't think it could be firewall-related either, until the firewall interfered with syncing and restoring. When it failed to restore, the error message it gave me was that I unplugged the USB cable, which I didn't, so if the firewall interfered, I think it must've stopped or altered the USB activity? Is that even possible?
    If it is, that could explain the scrambling. Things get transferred to or from the device, the firewall does its USB thing and in doing so interferes with the process. If you look on Apple's site, they say doing things like moving the device around while syncing can cause data to scramble, so I think a program could do the same.

This still doesn't explain why it would then happen to data already on the device, though.

Another interesting aspect of it was that it doesn't seem to affect anything put on the device via wifi. None of my apps have ever had any problems, until the ones which refused to install on the iPod (and 100% of those were downloaded through iTunes, rather than from the app store on the iPod.) Saving pictures from the internet works the same, they all ended up fine, but pictures transferred to the ipod all got scrambled. That's why I thought it was a USB issue; but now that it's happening on two different devices via two different USB cables, that can't be. I also tried syncing using a different USB port, but I didn't check for scrambling there, I only checked to see if it would sync apps (it didn't, until I shut off the firewall.)

I haven't finished checking the songs I added last night, but so far, none of them are having the scramble problem. If any of them do, I'll move on to reinstalling iTunes, as you said.

I should've also mentioned, my new iPod isn't jailbroken. I don't plan on jailbreaking it while it's under warranty. For a while, I wondered if previous jailbreak data from my old device could be interfering (when I first got the new iPod, I restored it from backup because I wanted my app data, but it was later suggested to me that I set it up as a new iPod, so I restored it.) I don't think any jailbreak data could be itnerfering now, could it?

Anyway, thanks for the help.