Mail Freeze and Crashes

Discussion in 'iPhone Applications on iPod touch' started by eric_chaos, Nov 16, 2007.

1. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Whenever i go to Settings -> Mail then press my acccount name, everything freezes up and i have to turn off my ipod. I thought it was just corrupt files or something so i deleted the mail folder in applications and the preferences folder. I instantly got the spinning wheel problem. I put the folders back on, andeverything was peachy again. Except, it still freezes when i click on my account in settings.

Any ideas?

P.S. I'm in 1.1.1
  2. Thrawnmuth

Thrawnmuth New Member

Same problem here ... but I'm running 1.1.2 and I moved my applications folder to the media filesystems. Maybe that's the problem.

Any suggestions?
  3. dirkgently42

dirkgently42 New Member

I too am having this problem. 1.1.2, and moved Applications folder as well. I installed Mail through the Installer and didn't set any permissions or anything afterwards. I'm assuming that I don't have to as I installed through Installer app.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    thanks in advance!
  4. dirkgently42

dirkgently42 New Member

After browsing for a solution for ages on this, I finally decided to uninstall and reinstall Mail. Unfortunately that caused issues itself. Fortunately for this thread, I fixed that problem. Anyway, even after that ordeal of reinstalling Mail, the ipod would continue to freeze when I clicked on one of my Gmail accounts in Settings.
    What I did was remove the accounts through ssh. I ssh'd into the ipod and found the mail account directory. Change dir into it:

cd /var/root/Library/Mail

in that directory, I typed the following to backup the existing accounts (note - replace userid with your userid):

mv Accounts.plist Accounts.plist.bk
    mv POP-userid@gmail.com@pop.gmail.com POP-userid@gmail.com@pop.gmail.com.bk

Then I rebooted and went back into Mail settings. My accounts were now gone and I setup my gmail account through IMAP instead. Google has a great guide for this here: https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77702
    Problem solved. I can now go into my account settings.

Bottom line is, set up your gmail accounts as IMAP, not POP and you won't have the problem. Hope that helps

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. dirkgently42

dirkgently42 New Member

Actually, it only seemed to work until I received email. Now the problem's back. Doh...

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. maajake

maajake New Member

I just tried adding hotmail to my mail accounts. (yes... it CAN be done through google "izymail"), but that site recommends that I use POP instead of IMAP, so maybe that will help.