Mail app doesn't display new messages in icon

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by elgilicious, Jan 11, 2009.

1. elgilicious

elgilicious New Member

In 1.1.x firmware, Mail used to display the number of new e-mail message in the upper right-hand side of the Mail icon. Now, it only does that after I open my Mail app.

How do I set up Mail to automatically check for new e-mail AND display the number of new messages in the icon?
  2. NeSEncHo

NeSEncHo Active Member

Firmwares 2.x still should do that. Do you have themes? Some will hide the Badges.
  3. elgilicious

elgilicious New Member

I have the Fallout 3000 theme in Winterboard, but I only see the icon/badge after I open Mail manually. I never see it otherwise, which leads me to believe that Mail isn't checking my e-mail account at regular intervals.

Edit: I just removed my Winterboard theme and sent myself an e-mail. The Mail app doesn't pick up the new e-mail or notify me in the icon.
  4. crimsondynamo329

crimsondynamo329 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Go to Settings, then Fetch New Data, then make sure Hourly, Every 30 Minutes or Every 15 Minutes is checked. If Manually is checked, then the app will only get mail when it is opened.
  5. elgilicious

elgilicious New Member

Thanks. The "Fetch New Data" option wasn't in 1.1.x, so it's new to me. Is there a way for Mail to check my GMail account more frequently than every 15 minutes? I'd much prefer up-to-the-minute e-mail updates.
  6. crimsondynamo329

crimsondynamo329 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I don't know of any way to check more frequently, other than opening the app...