Magnets in cases - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bimple, Dec 20, 2008.

?

Magnest in cases - good idea or bad idea?

1. it is fine - don't worry about it

26 vote(s)
    45.6%
  2. not a good idea - best to avoid

31 vote(s)
    54.4%
  1. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I was looking at a fairly inexpensive ITEC case for the iPod Touch and it was leather and had 2 small magnets embedded in the case to keep the front flap closed, and the flap flipped back and formed a stand for the ipod so you could watch movies in landscape.

Are magnets safe to have that close to the device? I thinik that doesn't seem like a good idea, but I am not sure, so I thought I would open a poll here to get everyone's opinion.

Have you had a case with magnets? if so, how long? did it harm the device?
  2. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

I have never had a case with magnets, but my mom has a 1G touch and she used to have a case that had magnets, she got rid of it cause it froze her iPod all the time.
    I don't what could happen to different cases, but i wouldn't buy a case with magnets in it.
  3. touchmymonkey

touchmymonkey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Its a good question. A poll won't give a scientific answer.
    I have a case with a magnetic strip. Haven't used it enough to tell, but on the Amazon site where I bought it someone wrote that they called Apple and were assured there'd be no problem.
    Here's a review that mentions the issue
    http://www.macworld.com/article/132961/2008/04/ipod_touch_leather.html
    and a discussion here
    http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum/iphone/caution-do-not-use-magnetic-case-4199.html
    and here
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/116572/busting_the_biggest_pc_myths.html
    I think I avoid using mine until I get a definite answer.
  4. BaseballMVP755

BaseballMVP755 Banned

i wouldnt trust it, if the magnets r too powerful it can mess ur ipod up
    also it could interfere wit wifi, i guess.. i would never buy a case like that, but thats just me.. its probably safe
  5. touchmymonkey

touchmymonkey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Although I realize he's talking about the iphone, the same should apply to the touch
    Here's the Amazon review

5 of 7 people found the following review helpful:
    3.0 out of 5 stars Regarding the magnets......, October 28, 2008
    By Vito Corleone "Make 'em an offer he can't ref... - See all my reviews
    For anyone concerned (like myself) about the effects of the magnetic closure on this case, please put your minds at ease. I called the Apple tech support for the iPhone 3G (I have the 16GB) that I just purchased within the past week and asked about using a case with magnets. The tech support rep assured me, and even checked with his support personnel, that any case with a magnetic closure WILL NOT harm the 3G iPhone. We discussed the matter for several minutes because he knew by the tone of my voice I was very concerned. He did say however......that if the magnet was large enough to lift a vehicle then you might have a problem. I also asked about the myth with magnetic closures and the 3G SIM card. He said even more so that the magnetic closure on a case WILL NOT harm the 3G SIM card. I hope this helps.
    http://www.amazon.com/review/produc...ageNumber=4&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
    I'd still like to hear it with my own ears. And maybe have something in writiing
  6. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the opinions and input so far. I honestly wouldnt trust apple to tell you the truth - in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they were working hand in hand to have the magnets cause harm to the device about 2 months after the warranty runs out

Please Register or Log in to view images

Planned obsolecence seems to be the norm these days with most everything.
  7. reluttr

reluttr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the magnets shouldn't effect it, since more than likely they are not strong enough to pass through the cases material that pads the ipod.

However I HIGHLY recommend you keep any high power "also called powerful earth magnets on DX" or neodymium magnets FAR away from the ipod because they ARE strong enough to screw it over.
  8. halo456456

halo456456 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yeah, magnets should only be a problem for Hard Drives, so since the iPod Touch is flash there is no worry. I have a 1 x 1 Super Neodymium Magnet (pulling force around 100 pounds XD) and brought it near both my iPhone and iPod Touch and nothing happened so don't worry.
  9. touchmymonkey

touchmymonkey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    A funny thing happened after I posted last night. Despite my concerns I put my touch in my magnetic case and was flipping the cover on and off. I took out the touch and it was frozen. Got it back working eventually but that is the only time it ever happened. I'm not concluding the magnet was the cause, but I am considering it while I gather more information.
    Problem with reports like this, is that they are anecdotal. Just because A precedes B doesn't necessarily mean A caused B. Or, if nothing happens it doesn't mean its not possible. Absence of proof is not proof of absence. Science is a b***h.
    For now, I'm avoiding the magnetic case. There's also a thing called playing it safe.
    Magnets definitely can't do any harm to this expensive device if they're not around it.
  10. treemagnet

treemagnet New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I realize magnets in a case shouldn't effect the touch G2 but when I have my touch in a case it does some weird things. it gives me a blank screen, once it gave me vertical red lines, another time the screen just faded away (like the voltages wern't there to drive the glass) I have only seen this problem since I started using me new case that has magnets in it. My wife has the same itouch g2 32g and same case and so far she hasn't had any problems I am going to restore it tonight and see if the problem goes away any other suggestions. I can also repeat this so its not a fluke.