Mafia Live: Strategies for different levels

Discussion in 'Social Game Friend Codes' started by IphonePlayer, Feb 24, 2009.

1. IphonePlayer

IphonePlayer New Member

[NOTE: Updated from my original post.]

Here are some of my own experiences as a Capitalist at different levels ... feel free to comment on more effective strategies! At level 51, I now have just over $405M in cashflow (per 50mins) which seems to be relatively strong for that level. It's kind of funding it's own growth now - it gets put back into buying properties which further increases cashflow.

Here's the strategy I've followed:

Levels Below 30 ... Asset Building
    I pretty much put all my "Zen" points into "energy". This translated into being able to do more and more jobs and get $$s which could be invested into buying Shacks and Hot Dog stands (all I could afford at those levels). It wasn't worth putting the Zen points into attack/defense, because the other low level players (who you're matched up against) don't have much money that you would get if you won the fight. As far as losing money, I'd just check in every once in a while and transfer $$s to the bank (this safeguards the money).

What I didn't do enough of ... which I highly recommend to anyone just starting out - is to use the ability to invite family members using email addresses. You'll get $10K - which is enormous compared to what the jobs are worth in the early levels. You can get some basic equipment for them and roll the rest into properties.

If you want to know what you should buy ... and be quantitative about it, simply compare "revenue / acquisition cost" ratios ... for each property. As you buy Shacks, the cost of Shacks go up, so the Hot Dog stand starts to provide you with a better return on your investment. But then the Hot Dog stands go up in price too which make the Shacks worth investing in again .... until you can afford the next higher priced property.

You keep buying whatever provides you with the highest revenue/cost ratio and you'll always be getting maximum bang for your buck.

Somewhere between level 15+, I started to focus on adding family members and purchase some inexpensive defense and attack equipment. It really started to payoff as I got closer to level 30 (see below) ... and I improved my equipment from helmets and rifles to gradually buying kevlar, grenade launchers and town cars (these latter items seem to add great attack/defense points for an efficient price).

Levels: 30-40 ... Fighting
    As I approached level 30, other similar level players were starting to build their assets as well, so having fights became worthwhile - you could make some good money! To do that, I started increasing my Stamina (can do more fights before having to wait for Stamina to recharge) and Attack strength. I never added points for Health because you can simply pay Dal Dattore to get healed.

Adding Zen points to Defense looks good, but if you're attacked by someone else with a bigger family and lots of powerful equipment - there's not much you can do about it (unless you can afford expensive/protective equipment) - you're going to lose. But - as long as you regularly transfer all your money into the bank, it wasn't that big a deal. Plus, you can always increase attack/defense capabilities by having the cash/cashflow to buy armor/weapons/vehicles - or if you're really in a bind - spend $10 (real dollars) for enough loyalty points from the game publisher to reassign a fourth of your Zen points. Contemplating all tradeoffs were fun!

As I got closer to level 40, I tended to favor a combo of grenade launchers, kevlar and town cars for most of my family members. The attack/defense yields seem a good tradeoff for the cost and upkeep.

Levels 40 to at least 50: Managing Cashflows
    Around the early 40s, most of the families you'll see are over 100 and everyone is fighting ... which means anytime you log on, any cashflow you've received from properties is very likely to have been sliced down a bit because you've been attacked by lots of other players.

Plus, if you have a small family size, finding someone to fight (of comparable size) is hard. Often you'll only get screenfulls of 100+ family size players. When you do attack, 80%+ of the fights will be failed attempts because other players have already attacked your intended opponent and dragged their Health score down below 20 (they can't be attacked).

Note that this is true (at these levels) even between the hours of 10pm - 5am (PST)! This is probably true because the # of available fight opponents at the higher levels gets smaller and smaller ... so the early morning hours don't help much.

However, when you do win at these levels, though, payoffs from even small families (less than 40) can be from $200K to well over $10M. (Every once in a while you'll hear about a strong player pulling in $100+M from random fight).

So, in light of this (and as a Capitalist with a cashflow interest), I found that a good strategy was to focus on rolling my property cashflow into buying more properties. At level 46 I was at $2.5M. 5 levels later, I'm at just over $330M. I stopped worrying about fighting and doing jobs, because the revenue gained from them became small compared to the property cashflow. (I still do jobs, but it's only to get experience to advance my level). Note: I did have a problem of losing up to $100M a night from night attacks - but I was able to deal with this by using the built-up cashflow to buy equipment with very high defense strengths. Currently, it uses less than .5% of the cashflow.

Higher Levels
    You tell me! There are players above level 100; what they have found as far as gameplay would be interesting to hear. The above has been my experiences up to level 51.

Best Part of the Game...
    In my opinion - I had the most fun during levels 1 to the late 30s ... when you're struggling to figure out how to "establish" yourself with properties, family, cashflow and cool equipment. The feeling of accomplishing these things felt pretty satisfying!

Hope these tips have helped; love to hear your level-specific strategies too!
    There are some great forum replies below - so they are worth a read too.

And hey - let's grow our family sizes together - here's my family code:

248 437 429
  2. chinook

chinook New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Wow, some very good advice right here. Thanks for the work you put into this!

One trend I've noticed in the game is people buying town cars in bulk. Which is a pretty dumb idea since you can buy an AK for 1/4 the price, no upkeep, and the same exact stats.
  3. Ales16

Ales16 New Member

Good advice, i needed that. Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. legion

legion Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    771-028-282
  5. TheIrishMafia

TheIrishMafia New Member

And why wouldn't you want both? You need one item from each category (weapons, armor, vehicles) for each family member you have (to the max of 10X your level).
    At the early stages, this means buying lots of helmets, AKs and town cars. By the time you hit the 50-60 range you should be fully stocked on Armor Suits, and the weapon/vehicles you can afford.
  6. -Kerrigan-

-Kerrigan- New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Lol this is random but I remember you attacked me and stole me moneyzz xD
  7. IphonePlayer

IphonePlayer New Member

Retrospective Strategy:

As I mentioned in my first post, I had the most fun in advancing my character/family from having nothing to one that felt relatively powerful (equipment, family members and properties/cash-flow).

Now that I'm above level 50, the new rules put me up against players who range from the mid 40s to 70. That's fine - but one thing that was fun was to feel accomplished ("powerful") amongst one's peers (players at about the same level).

So here's a thought: if I would start my character over again, I'd slow down advancing him in the level 30s. Instead of doing jobs (which generates the most experience points and 'forces' you to advance) ... or fighting, I'd try to be patient (which isn't easy at those levels) and let my cash flow slowly build up from property investment.

Then - with a strong cash-flow, I'd start to roll some of it into buying pricey and potent equipment. I'd build up my family a bit and start fighting the toughest-looking players at my level.

If I were to get things right - I'd be successful and feelin' pretty special. I realize that may sound a bit strange ... but, oh well.

Here's something to realize ... once you cross level 50, you'll have to deal with upper-level players who not only have intense weaponry (in the hundreds) that aren't even available to you yet, but also sit amongst those with multi-billion dollar property investments. Yes ... eventually, there are properties that cost over $1B dollars and there are players that have many of them.

So: if you're working your way through the early levels of play, one thing to ponder is what it might be like to become 'the' potent force at your level.

Outside of that, my current strategy (at level 51 now) is to continue increase cash flow and work my way to those billion dollar properties and an exotically outfitted family (more like an army). We'll see where this all leads!
  8. -Kerrigan-

-Kerrigan- New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yea, I've realized that the really good people don't do anything. They get a lot of cash, buy weapons, get super good, and then slowly advance through the levels. I've found that in the higher levels, defense is an important element. If you have a lot of Real Estate, I would use Zen Points in defense (especially since they're changing the zen point thing to be more important). If you don't have real estate and have lots of good weapons, go for offense. I don't think it's good to try balancing them out. Attacking other dons can make you a lot of money (if you're lucky). Once I got 150 M from this random guy I attacked, even though I'm a defense guy.
  9. IphonePlayer

IphonePlayer New Member

Kerrigan - You make excellent points. When I originally posted on this thread, I was a level 46 player w/$2.5M cashflow. Although I'm only a few levels higher at level 51, I now have a $125M in cashflow. It didnt' take long to realize that a defense bias, as you point out, is very useful strategy to protect property cashflow.

I was loosing quite a bit each night to night-attacks (about $100M/night of unbanked cashflow) - so I decided to upgrade my defenses. I equipped each family member with a yacht, flamethrower and 'full soldier gear' suit. I also put 30 of my 55 unused zen points into defense. Now I am very aligned towards a defensive posture. So far, it's helped - I am now keeping my night cashflows relatively safe.

I think your point about adopting either an overall attack/offense or defense strategy (but not both) is great insight. The earlier one figures out what they want to be or do in this game, the sooner they can start implementing a potent game plan.
  10. Nevan30

Nevan30 New Member

Help

im a level 57 and my cashflow is currently $500,000. What strategies should i pursue to increase my cashflow. Should i invest more in weopons or real estate? Reply please.