Macromedia Director files on iPhone/iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Sean the Pirate, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Sean the Pirate

Sean the Pirate New Member

Hey there.

In my TAFE class I'm working on making a 3D game in a program called Macromedia Director. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way or tutorials that show how to basically load up a Director file on an iPhone/iPod Touch? (I've tried Google). I'm putting quite a lot of work into this little game and I'd like to experiment with how well it works with the iPhone/iPod Touch interface.

Thanks,
    Sean
  2. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    You need to learn Cocoa Touch/Objective-C to make a program for the iPhone. As for 3D you need to learn OpenGL ES, then learn how to implement that OpenGL ES into your project. Sounds like a lot of hard work for something your not going to make a profit on.
  3. Sean the Pirate

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into those things you mentioned.
    If I managed to get it working I'd likely put it in the app store for 99 cents or so.
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Yeah, because someone who doesn't know Objective-C or OpenGL ES is exactly who should be making apps for the AppStore.
  5. Sean the Pirate

The sarcasm is not appreciated, nor was it called for. People are capable of learning new things, you know.
  6. Chicken

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    If you do end up looking at making applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch please look deeply into Memory Management
  7. Sean the Pirate

Thanks for the advice, chicken. If I do have a go at developing for the iPhone/iPod Touch I'll make sure it's on my checklist.
  8. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)

Isn't Macromedia Director *.swf? That won't work with the iPhone, unless it is rewritten for Cocoa Touch.
  9. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

People can learn, yes. But I will guarantee you that you will not have "professional" levels of knowledge after the short time you will take to learn. I am not even a "professional" level coder, and I am one of the best on this site.

Be problem with the AppStore is that far too many people are releasing fartoo many horrible garbage apps while thinking they are capable if releasing high quality software. They drown out the rest of the good coders making their apps hard to find; overall, they make the AppStore look bad as it's overrun with heaping piles of garbage.

That's all I was saying.

EDIT: A person with my skills and abilities should be on the crap be of the app spectrum, but because of all the people who don't know what they are doing releasing apps, people lie me look like the average coder. That is a pitiful state for the AppStore ecosystem to be in.
  10. Chicken

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I know this would take along time, but they could have asked for code examples for quality control before they accept anyone into the program.