MacBook-to-Windows PC Data Transfer over Network?

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by ur_so_beautiful, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ur_so_beautiful

ur_so_beautiful New Member

Hey is it possible to pair a MacBook with a Windows XP PC over the network so I can send/transfer files from my PC to my MacBook/vice-versa?

Like in the AirSharing.app for the iPhone/iPod touch?

So I won't need to use a memory stick or nothing?

EDIT: I'm getting a MacBook christmas time-ish but I would just like to know if it's possible, as the biggest memory stick i have is my 2GB Nano (can't necessarily use my touch) and I wanna move 40GB ish (not all at once lol)
  2. Coco The Pops

Coco The Pops New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yes, it's possible and very very simple to do.

I myself used it to transfer all my music from my PC to my MacBook when I got it a couple months ago. The mac basically shows my PC as another hard drive on the macbook, so you simple drag and drop stuff from one to the other.
  3. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This would be significantly simplified with a UNIX-like system running on the Window's computer.

Example:

Code:
    scp /directory/to/file <user>@<host/IP address>:/directory/to/target/on/remote/
    Classic example:

Code:
    scp /usr/home/gabe/Gabriel.png mom@192.168.1.105:/usr/home/mom/GabrielFolder
    Or use SFTP if you're trying to transfer a DIR.
  4. iPhoneFTW

iPhoneFTW New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    It is possible, if you set your sharing permissions right on both machines it should be a piece of piss
  5. lilbrzboi

lilbrzboi New Member

well for me it hasn't been peice of cake. perhaps its because im a newbie to leopard so sombody help me out please, it would be deeply appreciated! Im trying to get photos from my vista laptop to my new macbook over wifi.
  6. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    First you would make sure that OS X Server has Windows Sharing (SMB) enabled, this goes the same for OS X client in System Preferences, then on the Windows computer go to My Computer, click on My Network Places, click Add a Network Place, then click Choose a another network place, then input the IP address or hostname of the server and/or directory in the form of the \\hostname\directory

You can also connect to the OS X server via HTTP or FTP on Windows.
  7. lilbrzboi

lilbrzboi New Member

Simplyfied please? Im new to mac