Macbook security in case of theft?

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by bozeefus, Nov 12, 2008.

1. bozeefus

bozeefus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    hi there.

recently, there's been an increase in the number of home robberies around my area and i fear for the safety of my own home. the only real things of value that i own are my macbook, some loser 3-yr old+ PCs, and an 5-yr old+ TV.

i was wondering if there's a program available which i can install on my macbook that uses the camera to take pictures from a remote location, hopefully to identify the thieves. or perhaps there exists a program that lists the location of the macbook which you can access from a remote location?

oh, and while we're at it, do such programs exist for PCs?

thanks!
  2. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    They probably do exist, and that would be cool and everything, but don't you have home contents insurance and backup your data?
  3. bozeefus

bozeefus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yes, i do have insurance but i would also like to be able to capture the thieves if possible. me getting reimbursed is fine and dandy, but the thieves ending up better off is just plain wrong.

also, i'll like to note that my house is fairly secure; the only possible methods of entry are through the back and front entrances. each entrance has 2 doors, 1 metal one and 1 metal store door, both with 1 deadbolt and 1 "regular" lock each. however, i have found out from neighbors that even these locks were unable to prevent entry since the door frames were split with strong force
  4. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Solution: Reinforced door frames?

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. alexsilver215

alexsilver215 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Under Cover

Check out Undercover, just Google it, Im gonna install it when I get my New MBP, But The only downside is that it's not free, but you can check out this software called adeona which is opensource but not as complete.

Please Register or Log in to view images

but it still takes pictures Thru The iSight
  6. bozeefus

bozeefus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    too expensive; cost would amount to hundreds of dollars

a friend of mines suggested a solution that works wonders. i have a staircase that is leveled with the back door that is probably 5 feet away. I just used a couple of planks of wood to hold the door in place so it doesn't open. it's tacky, yes, but it's nearly impossible for someone to get in.. i don't use the backdoor anyway so an easy solution for me.

ty for the replies
  7. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Get Lo Jack. Very advanced software where you can track where your computers are at if they are ever stolen.
    http://www.lojack.com/
  8. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hes not woried about the laptop being stolen
    he wants monitoring softwar eon the laptop to monitor the house
  9. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If you aren't interested in the suggestions others are offering, set up Screen Sharing, and if they use it you can remotely log on, go to Photo Booth (Or whatever for pictures), and see the thieves, although I don't know about taking pictures.

It really wouldn't matter, as long as you had a secure password on it.
    If they somehow manage to reinstall the OS, it would all be gone nevertheless, no matter what type of software or program you install on it....

All you can do is have a super-secure password.

That or install a surveillance camera in your house where you keep the goodies.
  10. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Yeah, I remember when some college student did that and it turned it her friends took it. Lousy friends.