MacBook: Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by rarisgod, Jun 23, 2010.

1. rarisgod

rarisgod Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So recently I've become interested in Apple technology, and I'm considering getting a Macbook. However, I just got a Windows laptop last year and it's performed rather well for me. So it'd be a bit wasteful to sell off this laptop already, but nonetheless I'm curious to hear what you guys like and/or don't like about Macbooks.
  2. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Depending on what you are doing, the Windows laptop will be fine.

Tell me what do you plan on doing, so I can recommend staying with your current setup or buying a MacBook.

Also list the maker and specs of your current laptop.
  3. ShizerMonkey

ShizerMonkey Banned

Device:
    iPad
    MacBook pros :
    - the OS .. The operating system on any Mac is always going to be special to use it's fast and clear to use for any user including first time users !
    - the OS can't get viruses unlike a windows machine
    - the machine itself is an absolute breeze to use
    - the looks of the machines are amazing you could just sit there looking at it, it's that gorgeous !
    - the countless number of apps that you could run on it including Bootcamp and parallel which enables
    you run windows on the Mac itself !
    - the hardware itself depending on which model you are buying is superb !

MacBook cons !
    - the price ! .......
  4. GeorgeGabriel

GeorgeGabriel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    MacBook. It just works. OS is so much better, computer is better, performance is better, even with lower spec..I've been to both sides, trust me!
  5. TechDudeGeorge

TechDudeGeorge Active Member

Just to make it clear. Mac's DO get viruses like Windows. Just NOT Windows Viruses. They get their own viruses but not as commonly.

I'd say stick with Windows since it is good enough anyway with your current laptop. Not really much need unless you want to use any OS X exclusive apps.
  6. ShizerMonkey

ShizerMonkey Banned

Device:
    iPad
    Yes but not as commonly as a windows machine ! ..

As I said if you have the money to buy a Mac I'd say go for it ! ..
  7. rarisgod

rarisgod Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I'm in Computer Science, I plan to start writing iPod/iPhone apps at some point, and I can't do this without a Mac.

All of these pros and more are things that are tempting me, the cost is a setback however.

I knew this, Macs aren't immune like some people mistakenly claim, but they are less susceptible.

The Mac just seems like a much better investment than a PC, based on how well they supposedly run (since their hardware and software are made to run together) and since they're so easy to use (not that I'm computer illiterate obviously but I like things that are easy to use) and since there's some things you can do on a Mac but not a PC, but rarely is it vice versa...it's easier (and more legal) to get Windows running on a Mac, rather than getting OSX running on a PC. So I don't know...
  8. ShizerMonkey

ShizerMonkey Banned

Device:
    iPad
    If your studying computer science and plan on writing apps with out a doubt a mac is what you are looking for !
  9. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You might be able to install OS X on your current laptop, then BLAMMO, instant MacBook. That's all MacBook really have is OS X. Otherwise they are just shiny overpriced notebooks.
  10. rarisgod

rarisgod Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I know, but,

1. It will not perform the same. This is why they are sold with Mac hardware only
    2. It's much more difficult than doing the opposite (Windows on a Mac) and it's also illegal.