macbook pro 15'' 2010 optical drive noise!

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by sneak3, Aug 20, 2010.

1. sneak3

sneak3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Helllo guys.

I bought a macbook pro 15 and through the first 15 days it was ok. Then, I installed an program with a dvd and after restarting the mac, it began to do a grinding noise on startup. The same noise that it would normally do when you insert any discs, it does on startup. I had a 2008 macbook pro and it didnt do such thing. The disc-check sound was very quietly.

I've searched of the apple site for information and they tell that the way to stop this noise was by reseting the SMP or something like that OR inserting a disc almost to the end and then pull it back. However none of those worked and the noise is still there.

I have seen other people with that, so I dont know if it's a characteristic of this superdrive's model or if there's really a hardware problem..

A friend bought a 13" the following week and the same this happened, but the macbook they had for exposition did not make that.

Could it be a whole group of superdrives with defect?
  2. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Is the DVD still in the drive? xD It might make a noise, its possible the drive wasn't used until you installed something so it might have just triggered it or something...
  3. sneak3

sneak3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It does the noise even if there's no dvd inside. Yes, it probably triggered something but that shouldn't have happened.

As I said, in my past macbook pro, the fact of inserting a disc had never triggered anything
  4. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    might be the fan, mine makes a horrible noise like a lawn mower and i know its the fan.

Im upgrading my hdd so ill handle that at the same time
  5. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I'm aiming towards the fan. When the fan malfunctions (breaks) it creates a buzzing noise when it is turn on (When you first power on the computer). Then it'll create a buzzing noise when it runs to cool your computer (Sometimes it goes away with time, but it will get worse and worse).

I have had 3 really old hard drives crap out on me. None of them EVER mad any grinding/buzzing noises. One had smoke come out of one of it's chips. The other two made clicking noises. I doubt it's the hard drive.

Sources: Had to replace my laptops fan because of the buzzing noises (fixed it right up) and had 3 old hard drives crap out on me.
  6. MrNuggets

MrNuggets Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    open the bottom aluminum plate, remove the fan then clean it, i do this every 3 months or so.
  7. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Get a repleacement.
  8. sneak3

sneak3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Wait guys, but i din't say anything about the hard drive...it's about the OPTICAL drive. And no, definitely it's not the fan. The noise is THE same of the grinding noise made when any disc is inserted. So logically, it is the optical drive.

More over, as I said, a friend god a macbook and he had the same noise within a week, so it's not dust on the fan or broken fan.

here's a link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjdXPOy8Ocw

it's THAT sound, but when the computer turn on! As you can hear, it's not like any other disc-check sound.
  9. MrNuggets

MrNuggets Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yup, its normal, atleast to me, i have it in my Macbook pro, my brother's and my dad's. is it in the genes?
  10. sneak3

sneak3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    when did you buy yours? Because in the video it's an old one but mine is a brand new one...