macbook, parralels or bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by uber hax, Dec 18, 2008.

1. uber hax

uber hax Guest

okay. good chance i am getting the $1200 macbook this Christmas. 2g ram and 160g HD. Should i bother with running Leopard and Vista on it? Would having Vista on the macbook take off too much from the HD? how many gigs is vista?

And should i go with bootcamp or get Parralels? my uncle has parralels on his iMac and it is really nice, but how does it work on the macbooks? would settling bootcamp be the better alternative due to functionality on the macbook?

And, a friend of my dad has unlimited liscenses for all the vistas (IT guy), and i am not sure which version would be best on a macbook, so which one is best?
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Depends. What do you need Windows for?
  3. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can set how big you want the partion, so however big you want it. Parallels is only visualization, and so it won't be as powerful as the bootcamped version. Bootcamp is pre installed on the Macs so you might as well use that. I find that Bootcamp is a lot quicker than Parallels/VMWare Fusion.
  4. uber hax

uber hax Guest

well, i have windows XP now. I want to get it because i am afraid i will get documents that can only open in windows. Like, what if i have to go on a website that only runs in explorer? especially if going to that site is reuired for school. basically, i just want windows to open up windows files if neccesary. I also would like to be able to do work on my mac, and if i have to send some work to a PC user, it might not work out. In that case i would use windows to work on, then send it to who needs it.
    thanks chungster.
  5. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    a site that only runs in explorer? wtf?
  6. uber hax

uber hax Guest

some scripts and stuff work only in explorer. there is a thing in firefox that can do it, but you have to reload the page ina new window and stuff. i have also been to websites that tell me i need explorer to view them or download from.
  7. Cohen_computer

Cohen_computer New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. - You can get programs, for mac, that will allow to open a windows file under the mac OS.
    2. - See how you go first without windows, and then if you do need it, you can always get it later.
    3. - Welcome to the forums

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. - As for scripts for different explorers, that is where Firefox is good

Please Register or Log in to view images

Cohen
  8. sotaku22

sotaku22 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    If you are seriously going to use Windows i would use parallels, it's so much more convenient so you dont have to keep rebooting. And you can see both the Dock and Start menu together.
  9. uber hax

uber hax Guest

hmmmm?
    thank you.
  10. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

What about VMware ?
    It works awesome.
    It boots the whole OS while running OS X.
    So you can run like 5 OS' at the same time.
    No idea why you'd want to.
    But you could.