Macbook need advice.

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by jimbeam, Jan 27, 2009.

1. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have been holding out waiting for an updated mini, but it doesn't look like its coming any time soon and I think something portable would be better. So I have been looking at the new white macbook and the aluminum 13"er.

There really doesn't look to be that much of a difference between the two. Slightly bigger HD and one uses DDR2 and the other DDR3 RAM both 2GB standard. This and $$.

So my question is would it be worth it to spend the extra change for the aluminum or just go with the white and upgrade the memory to 3 or 4GB somewhere down the road? I can get the memory a lot cheaper somewhere else.

The heaviest applications I plan on running is CS3 maybe 4 if I get my hands on it. Maybe the SDK, I just reinstalled it on the mini so I have not decided if I want it on the Macbbok if I get it.

So what do you guys think? buy the white and upgrade the memory later when I need to or spend the extra cash on the aluminum? I really don't care about the extra HD space its not much more or the fact its shiny aluminum. The only thing that concerns me is the difference in the type of RAM they use.
  2. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

Dude , get the aluminum I say.
    It's got better battery life , the trackpad / multi-touch is amazing , as you said the RAM is better , it's nice looking , white plastic gets dirty , I could go on and on.
    It's worth it.
  3. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The white has the multi-touch trackpad and I can probably upgrade the memory two 4GB for around $100. I could care less about looks or how dirty it gets. I can wipe dirt off easy enough.

I guess my question is, is there really that big a difference between DDR2 and DDR3. Keep in mind if I buy the aluminum I probably will not upgrade the RAM, but if I buy the white I can use the money I saved and upgrade it to 4GB.
  4. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

I think it is , because my teacher had the 2.4 GHz white macbook , and I had the 2.0 GHz aluminum ( I have the 2.4 GHz one now ) mine was faster at opening applications and doing other things.
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Was it the old macbook and did they have equal memory?
  6. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

He had the white one.
    2.4 GHz , 2 GB of RAM the old RAM
    I had 2.0 GHz , 2GB of new RAM
  7. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    his OS mustve been bloated or something because the processors are the same...there shouldnt have been much of a difference
    also the white macbooks trackpad isnt fully multi touch like the aluminum..the aluminum supports pinch,expose and other 3/4 finger swipes while the white's only true multi touch extends to 2 fingers
  8. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

His machine was a week old.
    Mine was two.
    And his processor was faster than mine.
    I dunno , but it raped his at Photoshop , and Illustrator.
  9. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It's a shame they discontinued the black model

Please Register or Log in to view images

It gets a lot less dirtier. I would say the Aluminium model.
  10. SeeFreaky

SeeFreaky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well, If you have the money, then go aluminum, if not, go with the white one. I really do not see a noticeable difference with the ram,but i have to say, i do love the trackpad.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Oh, and the blackbook is an oil magnet. the matte finish really shows it.