Macbook Help

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by Relyt, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Relyt

Relyt New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm going to college next year to major in computer science/engineering. I'll be programming a lot and working with different languages such as C, C++, etc. I want to get a Macbook because my college uses iMacs in some of their classrooms and one of the professors I talked to said I should get one. My only question is if I should pay extra for the 2.4ghz macbook or should I just stick with the 2.0ghz model. Is the extra money really worth it if I'm going into the computer science field?

Note: I really don't care about the light up keyboard. It's nice, but I'm not going to spend extra money for it.
  2. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

Personally , I never noticed a huge difference in the 2.0 and the 2.4 (I've owned both) but it's possible I never really put the 2.0 under load.
    My favorite part of the 2.4 personally is the light up keyboard haha.
  3. ipodtouchmaster05

ipodtouchmaster05 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I currently have the 2.0ghz model, and it runs beautifully. Now I have also used the 2.4ghz version and it is noticeably faster, but that feature alone is not worth the extra money.
  4. Relyt

Relyt New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you. I think I'm leaning more towards the 2.0ghz model right now, but if someone can give me a definitive reason to buy the 2.4ghz model then I'm all ears.
  5. EBOBO

EBOBO New Member

Lots of things can change in 4 years of college. Might as well get a laptop ready for all the upgrades of technology.
  6. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Now get a Macbook Pro
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Computer science/engineering major asking for help buying a computer?

Anywho more is better. Get as much as your wallet will allow. Future proof it as much as you can.
  8. Relyt

Relyt New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for that

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'm getting one now that they discontinued the 2.0ghz model. Good thing I waited till after WWDC.

It's weird I know, but I was just curious if there was much of a speed difference between the 2.0ghz model and 2.4ghz model. I'm probably getting the 2.53ghz MacBook Pro now and will upgrade the RAM and HD. I really don't want to do it through Apple though

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT: Actually not upgrading the RAM. 8gb=extra $900? No thank you. Upgrading HD to 500gb though.
  9. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You can buy ram a lot cheaper somewhere else, even the HDD. Its really easy to do it yourself. Just take the back panel off and everything is right there. 8gb of RAM is going to be a little expencive no matter where you get it, but 900 is way to much.

I think they come 2x2gb sticks, so you could always buy one 4gb stick and keep one 2gb to make it 6gb of memory and when you get more money buy another 4gb stick.

Ramjet is where I buy mine. Its not the cheapest, but they deliver fast and its configured exactly the way apples memory is.
  10. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Take a look at a Ram guide over at Macrumors.