Mac VS PC

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by NinetyFour, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hey there,
    I'm thinking of saving up for a new computer soon (my current one has about 0.2 MB's of ram and is so bad that my brother said he wouldn't even be able to sell it). And I have been looking closely at both a Mac and a PC, and I haven't been able to decide on a choice. So, which one should I get? Why? Pros and Cons? Reasons behind your answers please.

Some info:
    -I'd prefer a laptop because I'd probably take it along to friends' sometimes or on trips, but I'd take a desktop too.
    -I currently use a PC desktop and am very familiar with the OS.
    -I am a high school student
    -I use my computer for mainly:
    Multimedia: Music and Movies (I NEVER game on a computer, so I wouldn't need a PC for gaming).
    Schoolwork (Microsoft Office is a must)
    Web Browsing (Obviously)
    -I am an aspiring musician and I play guitar, bass, drums and piano. I have been tinkering around with GarageBand on my friends' MacBooks and I like what I see. I really hope to do a lot of recording/writing done on GarageBand or maybe even Logic.

I mainly use my computer for talking to friends, watching movies, listening to music, and schoolwork. You should also know that I tend to download a bunch of random crap and am horrible at cleaning up my hard drive. My brother had to reformat my computer 3 times because the HDD was full and my computer operated as slow as a snail. It also had a lot of viruses and kept restarting by itself every 5 minutes. Also, what kind of Mac should I get? A MacBook? MacBook Pro? An iMac?

Ok, this is it
    One thread.
    I've given you the info.
    Now convince me.
  2. tktouch12

tktouch12 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    well macs are always better (in my opinion).. but more expensive
    if u get viruses, prob get a mac, and they are overall much faster
    if money isnt an issue, id get a mac for sure
  3. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    i would say mac. good for what you like. and no viruses.
  4. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Does iMac have wireless internet?
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Every Mac I've ever owned has died within a year of me using it. The MacBook had a bad hard drive, and the iMac's motherboard went bad!

Also, Apple is a horrible company that would be better off not existing.

My vote, get a PC.
  6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Seeing that you do a lot of multimedia work, I recommend getting a Mac. Since you don't plan on gaming on it, you won't need to worry about getting a PC, but you still can game on it if you ever want to. Microsoft Office is available so that isn't an issue either. OS X is a very user friendly OS, and even if you need Windows for something, you have the ability to install Windows on a portion of your hard drive via Boot Camp, VMWare, Parallels etc.
  7. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I repeat my question: Does iMac have wireless internet?
  8. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Also, remember that there is NOTHING you can do on a Mac that you can't do on a PC. The PC, however, gives you the option to easily upgrade or replace things without having to go to one of those pretentious Apple stores.

The other benefit to a PC is the fact that people make software and peripherals for it. Seriously, go to the Apple store, there's only like five apps for the Mac.

All in all, there is not one valid reason to get a mac over a pc. Everything it does can be done on a PC without paying a premium. If viruses are yourt concern, then don't get them. Seriously, the number one reason you get computer viruses is because you do stupid things. I haven't had a virus on a PC machine in well over ten years.

TwistedDrain, expect EVERY new computer nowadays to come with WiFi. If it doesn't you can buy a WiFi card, or external WiFi receiver for dirt cheap.
  9. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Yes..you should read the specs of something you are thinking of buying..

http://www.apple.com/ca/imac/specs.html
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    5 apps? I'm pretty sure I have more than 5 apps on my mac

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. GregoryFire

GregoryFire New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I agree with Skylar. I like PC's much better than macs. The only thing that's bad about PC's is that you can't install OS X without jumping through a bunch of hoops just because Apple doesn't want other computers to use their operating system.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.