Mac vs. PC JB -ZIPHONE

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by Amar, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Amar

Amar New Member

Hi guys,

I have a 16GB touch, and am trying to JB it using ziphones repeat click method (where you just keep clicking jailbreak until it jumps the BSD error.)

Now this works just fine on the PC and I was able to Jailbreak it. However there isn't a way on the mac yet.

Now my question.... If i jailbreak the touch using my PC (with windows xp) can i then connect it to my mac and use it to sync all my music etc. I would then only use my mac for my touch.

Previously I tried a jailbreak (not using ziphone) on the pc, and JB'd it to 1.1.3... This method was using oktoprep and then touchmasters JB. I then hooked the touch up to my mac and synced everything. This was all great till a week afterwards, when my ipod just stopped midway through song, and shows the restore to itunes pic. Was this down to the fact that i jailbroke with my pc, and then synced with the mac?

I don't want to jb with ziphone and then in a week find the restore pic coming up again

Please Register or Log in to view images

Hope someone understood all of that, and can help

2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    I can confirm that you can format the iPod on a Mac and then jailbreak it on a PC and keep the Mac format. I restored my 16gb to 1.1.4 stock firmware and then jailbroke on Windows XP machine and then connected back to iTunes on Mac and sync it no problem.
  3. elroy

elroy New Member

You don't actually *format* the iPod for either the Mac OS or for Windows - The iPod Touch and the iPhone don't function the same way as the Classic iPods do. The iPod Touch and the iPhone use a, lets call it 'mobile', version of OS X.

This is why you can use things like FTP or SSH to connect to these devices and NOT just mount them like an external drive like you could with the Classic iPods. It's because SSH and FTP are running as services on the iPod Touch or iPhone, in exactly the same way as they do on a desktop machine (be it PC or Mac). Essentially the iPod Touch and the iPhone are just little Macs.
  4. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Sorry I was trying to give him the simple answer that it would work.
  5. Amar

Amar New Member

Both answers were brilliant, thanks

Now onto the JB