mac system sounds

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by ska18, Apr 25, 2010.

1. ska18

ska18 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    so ive noticed over the past week or so, the system sounds on my macbook pro have changed. and i keep hearing random ones when there is no notice.
    maybe some sort of virus (i know that macs dont get them right?) changed things? im confused. :S
    has this happened to anyone or know whats up?
    thanks
  2. Magnum

Magnum New Member

I'm no expert with macs, but they can get viruses. I'm pretty sure your problem doesn't relate to viruses. It might be a screwed up system file or something. Thenagain, it may be a virus I'm not fond of.
  3. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Mac malware is very uncommon, and viruses (the proper definition) is practically unheard of. However, the usual weak link in the security of OS X lies inbetween the chair and the computer screen, so to speak.

Have you installed any illegal software recently such as Adobe Photoshop, the Creative Suite? Any software you have downloaded via bit******* or P2P, or off dodgy websites? Have you installed any plugins for watching media?

Finally, have you ever had to enter your password in in unusual circumstances?

The reason I'm asking is that, as far as I'm aware, the only way to compromise OS X is to authenticate it to run as root, and the easiest way is for hackers to hide malware in the install applications.

Are you sure that it's not some application that's running which is causing the problem? It's possible you've got some application running (by accident or on purpose) which is just badly coded. Run Activity Monitor (under Applications/Utilities/) and see if there's anything you don't recognise.

It's hopefully just a rogue application that's been configured wrong, or you're accidentally hitting something on the keyboard by mistake. I've never heard of malware making random system noises.