mac os x on windows

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by deleted account, Jan 6, 2008.

1. say if i was to obtain a copy of leaopard, is there anyway i could easily run it on a windows computer, with minor hacking, not like messing around with the bios and stuff, just maybe installing a program on the windows portion and then that allows it to dual boot?
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

It's kind of semi-major, but not minor hacking.
    Hint: hackint0sh.
  3. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    It is possible. I saw a bit about it on cnet.com. It is illegal, but that shouldn't stop you.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. pjbarnoy

pjbarnoy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you dual-boot, the Windows partition would have nothing to do with the OS X partition. When you boot up your computer, there's usually a boot screen to let you decide which partition to boot an OS from. This boot screen interface is stored inside the motherboard, not in the hard drive, and definitely has nothing to do with the Windows Partition.

The OSx86 Project should have more details on this.

Anyway, your computer is not a "Windows computer"; it was designed to run various operating systems, besides Windows. The only problem with installing OS X on your PC is that Apple tightly integrates their operating system with their computers. Unlike Microsoft, Apple didn't design OS X to be able to run on different manufacturers' computers. So yes, there will probably be some heavy hacking to be able to run OS X on your computer.

This is a pretty advanced job, which I personally think requires some familiarity with some form of Unix to be done with the best results possible; i.e. it can't only be done in Windows. I'd recommend an Ubuntu live cd for anything you need to do that can't easily be done in Windows without installing lots and lots of software.

Hope this helps,
    ~pjbarnoy
    1 person likes this.
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Step 1) Install Linux on a second partition.
    Step 2) Install the patched Leopard over the Linux Install.
    Step 3) Enjoy.

My, when I want to use OS X, I just turn on my Macbook. To be honest, I don't think I've turned on my Windows laptop in at least two weeks. Linux even less recently.
  6. pjbarnoy

pjbarnoy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    lol, Macbooks are obviously superior

But why install a Linux OS and then install OS X over it? Wouldn't running a live CD just be easier?
  7. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i looked into this as well, then just got windowblinds and rocketdock, and went to osx-e.com. works for me
  8. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Its not majorly difficult to install OSX on a PC with intel hardware. AMD is a bit harder. The main issue is driver support. It can be a pain in the arse. I still don't have all the kexts for my laptop so when i boot into OSX (Tiger) my sound card and wifi dont work.

But it does require a fair bit of in depth knowledge about the computer itself, not just windoze.

Be sure to make a backup before attempting though, just in case you f*** up.

1 person likes this.