Ludicrously Slow Sync.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by The Evil Creampuff, Mar 9, 2010.

1. The Evil Creampuff

The Evil Creampuff New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I know there's been a few topics about this already but none have really come up with an answer so I thought I'd try my luck.

Recently, my Ipod Touch 3G w/ 3.1.3 firmware has been taking FOREVER to sync. I'm not talking about an hour for a few hundred files here, I'm talking it's been 45 minutes and it's up to the 3rd file out of 12. We're looking at something like 20 minutes or so per file.

I tried to restore and start a fresh, it took about 4 hours to copy 22 or so gig of music on there which i thought was fair enough, but at this rate it's going to take that long to do 12 stand-up shows, roughly 100 meg each.

My computer isn't ludicrously slow (E4500 and 2 gig of RAM, running windows 7), all my music is on an internal SATA drive so it's not like it's copying from USB drive to USB drive, I'm completely anal about my tags and album art so they're all perfect. I've been completely unable to find an explanation.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Have you tried a different USB port?
    I'm thinking it has something to do with your computer.
    Not completely sure.
  3. The Evil Creampuff

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well I thought that as well, but the slow sync happened gradually, it wasn't always slow it just slowed down over time. My next course of action is trying different USB ports and also trying to sync it with nothing else plugged in to any of the other ports see if that changes anything.

*Edit - It just finished syncing, roughly an hour and a half for 12 files.
  4. mikelat

mikelat New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Same deal here 3G 32gig but only about 2 gig used, iTunes9, i7 with 11gig and when I look at task manager only 2 processors in use at less than 1% and it will go on for over an hour...seemed to start with iTunes9 but it is a real pain and reloading stuff doesn't help.
  5. Jodene =o)

Jodene =o) Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    Stanza seem to be a culprit in slowing down the sync... do you have lots of books??

To cut down my sync times, I use my Zonealarm firewall. Get it to ask you when it wants to use the backup part of its cycle. It pops up alerts when the backup part is about to start, so I deny it.. and it goes straight into syncing my new apps and finishes.

I wrote step by step instructions here - http://www.ifans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2017488&postcount=4
  6. The Evil Creampuff

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Nope, I have no books whatsoever. It's not the backup that is causing the slow sync, the backup is quite fast, it's the actual copying of files onto the device that takes forever.
  7. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Have you tried rebooting your PC? And then try again.

1.5 hours for 12 files is ridiculous, unless those files are huge. Are they movies?
  8. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    have you tried reinstalling itunes?

my XP computer is freaking slow. but, it takes 5 minutes to sync 300 songs.
  9. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yea my 7, P4 with 512MB of RAM, eaisly syncs 300+ songs 15-20 mins.

Do you have USB 2.0?
  10. The Evil Creampuff

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    @xXrkidXx - Yup, definitely USB 2

@narwal13 - My computer was reformatted about a week or so so it's a more or less fresh version of both Windows and iTunes.

@JKK photography - I've tried syncing first thing in the morning after turning my computer on, rebooting, the lot. The files aren't huge, it was 4 stand-up comedy Mp3s ~100Mb each and 2 albums ~100Mb each, so we're looking at maybe 600 - 800 meg.