Lost password how to reset with SSH

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JamesMore, Sep 20, 2009.

1. JamesMore

JamesMore New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    My wife's little sister forgot her password for her Ipod touch 2nd Gen and I can not get in.

When I connect It to itunes it says it can not connect due to a passcode. This means I can not access it from my computer and access the folder iPod_control.

But as I unlocked the ipod I can SSH in to the ipod where is the iPod_control. folder so that i can remove the file _locked

Or is there another method to remove the password with out resetting the ipod back to factory defaults.

(if I did this would I have to unlock my Ipod again ? eg restting the ipod)

Thanks for your help and ideas :)
  2. sambalayne

sambalayne Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    use iphone browser to remove the file or do dfu restore
  3. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Just use iFunbox.
    You don't even need SSH to be installed for that.
  4. JamesMore

JamesMore New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    but where is the file _locked located ? Most of the lost password posts talk about connecting the ipod to a pc and then access the ipod like a disk drive.

but when you SSH in you connect at the root of the ipod what directory do you see when you connect with a PC.

And if I DFU restore do I have to jail break the ipod again ?
  5. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Passwords (including wifi and passcode) are stored in /var/mobile/Keychains
  6. JamesMore

JamesMore New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the hint that helped loads

I found this in another forum

Should I remove both files I am just worried that if I remove keychain-2.db then I wont be able to get back in as it wont connect to the wireless router and hence not able to SSH in.
  7. 2gcasereviews

2gcasereviews New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

...Wow, dude, you saved my @$$. i had put a password on my ipod to not have my annoying cousins play with it (they came for thanksgiving...they always take my stuff) and i had forgotten it right away for some reason. Thanks!

Btw, iFunbox works, but i used iPhoneFolders...all you need it to connect your idevice, and slide and leave the passcode open. then you can into my computer and SSH it. Worked out really easily!

Thanks again, i cant say it enough times...i didnt want to restore! :)

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, go ahead and delete keychain2.db...its fine, you can access your ipod about you reboot. I WOULD NOT reccommend backing up those files...that'd be..not too smart xD
  8. BobTeatow

BobTeatow New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    improved procedure for removing passcode or password from iPodTouch or iPhone

Don't lose all your web and WiFi passwords, certificates and whatnots in the keychain-2.db file, instead...

Use the free sqlite database browser to edit your keychain-2.db file. Choose the "genp" table and delete the row with your DeviceLockPassword.

I used the "Itunes Backup Manager for Windows" to export the keychain-2.db file from a recent backup. Edited the file. "imported" the hacked file. Then "restored" the hacked file directly back to the ipod.

If you have another utility to extract and replace the keychain-2.db file, you should be able to use that -- I understand, there are several ways to do that on "jailbroken" iphones/ipodtouches.

I'm not sure if it made a difference, but the change to the keychain-2 file did not take effect until I also replaced the LockBackground.jpg file and restarted/rebooted the ipodTouch. (I changed the LockBackground file so I had an easy visual indication that the file-replacing utility was actually working as expected.
  9. Innexplicable

Innexplicable New Member

Nedd some serious help

alright i've done pretty much everything but seems like im not doing it right i've followed every steps exactly then rebooted but yet my iphone keeps asking for the code wy??? i've got the feeling that the changes i make to the Keychain file by deleting the ONLY entry ive got doesnt save on my iphone is that possible? and then when i reboot it, well it just reloads everything as it is...btw im using i-funboxz cause im running on windows 7 x64
  10. dasnov

dasnov New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    is there any option to delete the passcode on iOS 4.3.3?