lost my ecrypted backup password

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by iMaztrr, Jul 12, 2009.

1. iMaztrr

iMaztrr Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    when I updated my iTunes and firmware recently i checkmarked the box "encrypt iPod backup." only recently did I actually think to backup my iPod. but now as I backup my iPod go to uncheck this box, only to find that I have forgotten the password. I have tried almost every single password that I have any memory of ever using and I can't seem to get it right. Is this password stored anywhere on my computer where I can find it. my computer is running Windows XP. I am using my computer and I am not using a stolen iPod/iTunes account. Help please.
  2. T-Pwn

T-Pwn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What made you have to do that?
  3. jmanwas

jmanwas New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ahahaha im having the same problem and apple wants $30 to fix it please tell me if you found an answer oh and thanks for your help T-Pwn
  4. umaru

umaru New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ahhh i'm having the same problem!
  5. Number8

Number8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Uninstall iTunes and re-install it?
  6. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Personally I would rename the backup folder meaning that iTunes wouldn't be aware of the encrypted backup -

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

(the path will be slightly different for Vista - C:\Users\usename\... iirc)

Rename the Backup folder something like Backup.old and the resync you iPod (having removed the encryption checkmark) This should then create a new unencrypted backup.

Please note that I have note tested this or tried it.
    Renaming of the folder is to ensure you don't lose data. If you delete, then this is your fault, not mine!

I have renamed this folder to create a brand new backup, but I have never used encryption for a backup!
  7. iMaztrr

iMaztrr Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    If only I had known this a few days ago. I restored the day before 3.1 was released. Now I have a new backup. Either way TY for the info but I will not be encrypting the backups anymore due to this experience and the fact that it takes way longer to encrypt them.