Lossless via shared library?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by EmeraldICE, Dec 31, 2007.

1. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

Alright so I've decided to start re ripping my whole CD collection to lossless because I'm going to be getting a very good speaker setup soon and my current collection is only at 128 AAC.

However.
    I don't want to have those huge lossless files on my main computer because then I would end up having duplicates of eeeevery song in iTunes and I like the ability to just plug in my iPod and let it automatically do its thing.

Here comes my question:
    The 128 files are to be used for my iPod which I sync to my main computer.
    Would I be able to rip all my cds using lossless to a different computer but then still listen to them on my main computer via shared library? Would it mess with the quality or would it be just like listening to the file as if it was right here on my HD?

Thank you.
  2. mjhamilton

mjhamilton New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    if you set up a shared drive over your network it will not effect your file quality in any way.. the file will be bufered before it plays.. you may find the occasional 'stutter' if there is a minor interruption to the buffering process but I use this method all the time with great effect
  3. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

Yeah, thanks. I decided to go ahead and do it and it's great.
  4. Ankitsid

Ankitsid New Member

so how do u set up a shared drive??
  5. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

I think he's talking about one of those hard drives that you buy and plug into your router and then all of the computers on that network can access it. I'll probably try it soon when I get some extra cash... Kinda sucks having to keep turning on my second computer (which I never use otherwise) just to listen to lossless.