Loose headphone jack

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AMDRick, Mar 26, 2010.

1. AMDRick

AMDRick New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I picked up a 2Gen 8GB Ipod touch, screen is in good/great condition(minor scratch or too, not noticeable) and is surprisingly white water audio detected. I got it for $30 USD. I know the person, so to my knowledge it isnt stolen, he is buying a nano from someone else and wanted to sell his ipod because he thought that...

1)The wifi was broken, since I know alot and its happened to me before a quick restore of system settings fixed that problem, wifi back!

2)Headphone jack broken, a quick few minutes of air blew out the dust and dirt inside(youd be surprised), well ONE ear works(consistently, didn't before) but the left doesnt unless I pull the wire down, I was thinking is there anyway to force it down 24/7 without manually holding it down?

For 30 bucks I figured I had to pick it up, if it had a smashed screen I still could of made a profit on ebay for broken parts lol. I bargain w/o the one headphone selling as-is on ebay I could fetch easily 60-80(w/o ship), and am hoping theres a not too terribly hard way of getting this fixed(I know alot about tech, so dont mind giving me the full story).

Thanks, Rick.
  2. eats7

eats7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    buy a new jack off ebay, and pop it in there. you'll be much happier that way.
  3. AMDRick

AMDRick New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    and if it were that easy there would be loads of guides on how-to and apple wouldnt charge $150...you obviously need micro soldering equipment right?
  4. eats7

eats7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    nope. you shouldnt. all it should be is a jack connected to a ribbon cable that you plug in. should be at least. here actually:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IPOD-TOUCH-iTou...Accessories?hash=item2eabdc964d#ht_1927wt_962

it just slides right in to the main board, no soldering required.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    edit- ive taken a closer look at it and you my need to solder 5 points. usually, components dont need to be soldered they just slide into a connector. i'm not to sure at this point. perhaps someone with more knowledge of dissassembly could reply here.
  5. AMDRick

AMDRick New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I guess I will look into that. I never have opened my ipod though(surprisingly), how does one do that? Im assuming the back snaps to the screen piece as I do not see any screws or such..also, the magic of 1500 grit sandpaper, turned a dull cant see my face chrome back into can see my face as well as my new kept in case 24/7 ipod touch. Insane what 45mins of sanding can do..
  6. eats7

eats7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    hahaha yeah tell me about it, i sanded down the headlights on my car for hours so they cleared up again. but yeah theres four snaps on the right side, 2 on bottom, 3 on left and one on top. use a putty knife. but i would make sure your confident enough in yourself cuz it does require soldering 5 points. you could always buy the part and pay a shop to do it as well, be a lot cheaper then sending it to apple. as of right now, there's not much you can do with that headphone jack. lol did you try other headphones?
  7. AMDRick

AMDRick New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah, I mean I hear out of one ear, but not the other. Both work if I push down on the connector of the headphone, so its obviously loose or something I tried another pair of headphones, same problem.
  8. -lkv-

-lkv- New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    its your jack output not headphones. if you still have warrenty go replace
  9. eats7

eats7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    seems as if theres something stuck in ther. try using pipe cleaner to clean it out even more.