iOS 4.1 Looks like we just lost a userland exploit...

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by TchnclFl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Because everyone was complaining about tethered status, the Chronic Dev team appears to have used the bootrom exploit (which is tethered) to jailbreak it, but also used a userland exploit (untethered) to boot up. Perhaps this is why the jailbreak took longer than some people expected? It's definitely a first.

I'm not too excited about burning two exploits for the same JB...Firstly, it means that they'll have to find ANOTHER userland JB for 4.2 (if they don't already have it) because this one will be patched. Secondly, as soon as 4.2 drops, GP will be tethered. Was it really worth it?

Please Register or Log in to view images

http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/26713625983
  2. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well I think they used a kernel exploit, not userland.
    Which that exploit will be used in the userland iOS 4.1 jailbreak most likely if possible.
  3. halolordkiller3

halolordkiller3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    There will always be exploits somewhere in the firmware no matter what. Patching one thing in the firmware leaves other doors open in the firmware code. You can never FULLY patch it. There is always a way around it even with unlocks.
  4. FaL LeGeNd

FaL LeGeNd Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Not to smart of them IMO. We burned another userland exploit to untether a jailbreak....leading to eventual patching of the userland leading to tethered GP? This bootrom JB is....idk....turning out to be less and less exciting. Especially for us 3rd Gen users.
  5. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

Im getting so confused,, can someone tell me if an ipod touch 4g is pwned for life with GP?
  6. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I know that it'll be jailbroken, but it seems a little wasteful to me. I mean, it can only cause a longer amount of time because the devs have to find another Userland..

I suppose it'll be nice to have untethered 4.1, but I'll still jailbreak tethered 4.2 and I won't care

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yes, but it will be tethered without another exploit, which from speculation is kernel not userland. I could be wrong though.
  8. samethernet

samethernet Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    yes it is as tethered, but the untethered required a 2nd exploit which existed in the kernal which can be patched
  9. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes, it is. However, the devs used two separate exploits to do it. Therefore, it probably won't be untethered for life (or at least not at first).

The 4.1 GP will be untethered, but the 4.2 won't be originally.
  10. FaL LeGeNd

FaL LeGeNd Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yes, but will be continuously tethered until it is made untethered again by more userland exploits.

(So it'll change from untethered to tethered when new FW's are released, and then back to untethered when a userland jb is implemented into GP. And so on).