Looking to buy a new PMP - considering ipod touch 3g - help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by maja, Sep 19, 2009.

1. maja

maja New Member

Hey all, after countless hours of being a lurker and just checking reviews of multiple PMP players I still have some very important issues I'm trying to find answers to.

I'm currently still sporting a 1st Gen Ipod Nano... yes quite old but it has held up nicely. Now I'm looking to upgrade, but which PMP is right for me? I'm torn between a 3g touch, cowon s9, zune HD, and samsung p3.

Sound quality- is an important factor, but I don't consider myself an audiophile. I'm generally just listening to 320kbps MP3's. I am happy with that quality or even 256kbps mp3's. 128 are generally a no-no because even I can tell differences. My question is if I put 256 or 320kbps mp3's on the touch will they be played back in that quality?

Video- While video playback is a plus it's not my main purpose, it's a nice bonus though. So while the zune HD's oled and s9's amoled will have a better looking screen I'm not too worried about it.

Apps- Once again not a main purpose but a HUGE PLUS! The biggest turn off about the s9, ZHD, and p3 are the lack of apps. Another huge reason I think I prefer the 3g Ipod touch is the Pandora app. For me that's an absolute must, I'd rather have the pandora app that I've spent many years tuning than HD radio/ fm tuner the others PMP's have to offer.

I'm sorry this is getting a little long but I'm really still up in the air about certain things. I also do not care about the whole rumors of another touch coming out in october or whatever it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think the ipod touch 3g is for me, but I'm really wondering about the sound quality. Like I said I'm no audiophile but I do put a lot on having a great sounding PMP player... after all that's why I'm buying one.

Thanks for any replies guys.
    -Maja
  2. a9205

a9205 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  3. PowerLion1

PowerLion1 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    iPod Touch 3G!

I've dabbled in many electronics and by far my iPod Touch 3G is the most exciting one I've ever had! I used my PSP 2000 for all my videos, music, games, internet browsing, but it just doesn't compare tho the screen quality and audio quality of the iPod Touch. It is also quite speedy. Only advantage that the Zune HD has is built-in HD Radio and 720p video output. Go for the Touch!
  4. Togor

Togor New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Zune HD. There will many apps coming.
  5. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Either the Zune HD or the iPod touch 3G, not the other two. IF music/videos matter more to you, go with the Zune HD (but remember, the experience isn't as seamless as Apple's). If you want (a basic) handheld computer, go with the iPod touch 3G. Both are GREAT choices.
  6. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'd say the iPod Touch 3G, but just for fair purposes you should check out the Zii as well.
  7. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    iPod touch 3G FTW
    the Zune HD is pretty cool but i would prefer the iPod touch 3G (even though im getting both devices)

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Yangydoodles

Yangydoodles New Member

Mind you, you are asking on the iPodTouchFans forums, so expect most of the answers to be the iPod Touch 3G.
  9. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Not really... Did you bother reading the answers? Because lots are saying Zune HD, or the Zii.
  10. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    dont get a P3, the reason i got a touch was because my p2 disappointed me so badly. Cowon S9 looks decent but the support for it seems to be pretty bad. They offer skins and stuff for it but no where near the amount of things that the touch offers. I was actually in your position not long ago, i went with the touch 32GB because it offered a good price, big app store, great smooth interface (compared to Samsung's at least) and i could actually go out to the store to buy it. unlike my other options.

The ZuneHD will take a while to get developers to start making plenty of apps for it so now wouldn't be the best time to get one of them. However, it outputting HD was almost enough to convince me to buy one.