Looking into getting an Iphone 3G....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Killa-X, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Killa-X

Killa-X Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm sorry to create a thread and expect people saying SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH!

I'm a current owner of an ipod touch 1st gen. I've been annoyed by all these fun apps coming out for the iphone that can be useful with the mic, camera, and speaker.

Is it possible, that I could get the iPhone 3G (via bestbuy), and somehow unlock it without any activations? I wanted to use it as an ipod, just with a camera, GPS, speaker, and microphone. This way, I can use my family nextel plan and get a cheap phone service. Is this possible? I dont mean "SIM" card hacking. I want to litterly take it, Crack it, and use WIFI just like my ipod. I just want the camera, mic, and possibly GPS

Please Register or Log in to view images

so.

1: Is this possible?
    2: Is there any risk into this? Where i could freeze the phone or make it useless and have to attempt returns and crap?
    3: If possible, does GPS work? or is this part of AT&Ts service...
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

The hard part ($$) will be getting the iPhone without a contract.

From there you can use it just like an iPod.

I don't think you'll have any problems and I believe the GPS will work assuming you have the right APP. Mine says it works without the SIM installed but I have never tried it.
  3. Killa-X

Killa-X Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Oh.. So i cant go to like bestbuy and buy the iphone 3G and say some crap like "im buying this for my fathers birthday in July, is there anyway i can sign up a contract later so we don't have to pay the monthly fee until then?"

Prob fail wouldn't it.
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

As far as I've seen you really can't get the 3G without giving them all your information and signing a contract.

I've heard of some people going into Wal-Mart early in the morning and getting some associate that does not know any better to sell them an iPhone without the contract, but I think they have since fixed that.

You can go through all the paperwork get the contract and then cancel it but I am not sure the cost to cancel it.

Last option is eBay or Craigslist; All I have to say about that is if it seems to good to be true it probably is!