Looking for some clarification regarding Wi-Fi Connection

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bkmac, Dec 21, 2007.

1. bkmac

bkmac New Member

*Sorry if this is in the wrong section, if so, can a mod please move this to the correct section, thanks.*

I have an issue regarding the ability to use Safari on my Touch in my house.

I have a computer in my bedroom, my parents have one in theirs. This entire time, I thought we had wireless routers, but I found out tonight that we have a wired router.

My question to you all is, will me having a wired router in my household stop me from gaining access to using Safari on my iPod Touch if say I wanted to use it lying down in bed?

I usually would know, but I'm not too sure about the whole Wi-Fi situation, especially on the Touch.

Thank you to anyone who can help me out. Your help is greatly appreciated.
  2. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well unless you set up connection sharing from your PC over WiFi ad-hoc network, you can't go online with your ipod at all if you have wired routers...
  3. jaggedtoaster

jaggedtoaster New Member

Since the iPod touch uses Wi-Fi, you would need a wireless router, or you could possibly go off of someone elses signal if there are any closeby. Another option would be finding a hotspot, but that wouldn't be possible in bed, unless you live next door to a Starbuck's..
  4. bkmac

bkmac New Member

Well this day turned for the worst

Please Register or Log in to view images

Maybe my neighbors have a wireless router. I'm not sure, I'll have to hope.

I'll have to figure out something.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone.
  5. simonrichards150

Device:
    iPod touch
    bkmac, do you have a wifi card in any of your PCs that are connected to the internet? If you do, you can connect your ipod wirelessly via the PC to the internet.

6. bkmac

bkmac New Member

I'm not even sure, I'd have to check with my dad, since the router is hooked up in his room.

... I just checked, he said we don't have a wi-fi card. How much does one cost, and how exactly does it work?

Maybe I can convince my parents to pick one of these cards this weekend. Do you know if it would work just as well instead of getting a wireless router?
  7. simonrichards150

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can get a wifi card for as little as £15. Thats GBP, if youre somewhere else, use www.xe.com to convert, unless you can do it in your head, then thats even better.

Its definitely not an ideal solution, it would be better to get a wireless router, or just a wireless access point that you can plug straight into your existing network, but they are more expensive than a simple wifi card.

As for how they work....they just let you connect two devices together wirelessly just as if they were connected by a wired network connection.
  8. bkmac

bkmac New Member

simonrichards150, thank you for all the assistance.

I wound up contacting a113524c on AIM, and he guided it through me, and it turns out I may be able to use it in the house/bedroom after all. Seeing as I have a router connected to a modem, meaning the router itself is not wireless (it is connected to the modem) but it allows wireless devices, like the touch, to connect to the internet through it. (That last sentence was something a113524c said, just re-worded.)

I didn't even open up the Touch yet (it's a Christmas gift). As I explained to a113524c, I mentioned to my dad how I wanted to be able to use the Touch in my bedroom, say lying on my bed, but then he went on to say that our router was wired, not wireless, which got me thinking that it Safari wouldn't even connect in the house, which led me to make this thread.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. a113524c and I basically think it should work, because the modem is connected to the modem and whatnot.

So, once again, thank you simonrichards150, and thank you a113524c for all of the help. Man, I love the fact that I got all of this help, even if I didn't open up the box yet!