looking for explanation: wifi and wired network

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by unigee, Dec 27, 2007.

1. unigee

unigee New Member

Hi,

I am very new to WIFI, infact I have no experience with it whatsoever.

I just purchased an IPod Touch and soon after I realized I dont have a way to use its wifi capabilities. After searching for a wifi network at my house, two networks were shown but they were password protected. So I am assuming that there are two people using a wifi internet connection but they obviously locked them.

In my house, I have a few computers connected to a wired router. I don't want to go through the whole process of gettng a wireless router because it will cause problems with the other computer users.

After searching the forums here I found out you can get an wifi adapter to use on my pc.

What exactly happens with this adapter?

If I plug it into my computer, does my pc just bridge the connection from the wifi adapter to the wired router? so the itouch should recognise the wifi adapter and be able to access the internet through my pc?
    And finally, I am assuming some sort of software comes with the adapter so I can configure the security features?

Thanks
  2. edmarriner

edmarriner New Member

Yes you can buy usb adapters which turn your computer into an access point though they often don't have great range.

Yes, they will come with some sort of software which lets you change the settings.

Though if getting a wireless router is an option i would recomend it becuase it will mostl likely have a much great range.

cheers,

-ed
  3. chopshop

chopshop New Member

The best way I can tink is to get a wireless router (they usually have a wired router built-in). You should be able to replace the wired router with the wireless one for all the pre existing computers and use the wifi for your Touch. If you don't want to mess with the existing network you could also attach the wireless router like it is another computer on the old wired router. This connection would just plug into the wan/internet input of the new wifi router. The only downfall to this it that your iPod will be hidden from the computers on your network. If you need to access the iPod from the other computers via wifi, you will need to google something like 'using a wifi router as a wifi access point' or maybe 'using a wired and wireless router'. It get very technical, so I won't go into the details right now.
  4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Range depends on the wireless access point - I've got a Microsoft access point and an iMac with built-in wireless, but my iMac gets better range than my access point (even though they are like 3 feet away from each other...
  5. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

There would be some finagling involved in setting up a wireless router. You'd have to hook it up to your system, then bridge the connection with the main router. Or you could replace the wired router with a wireless that also has the standard 4 wired ports, but depending on which computer in the house is acting as the network server this may not be entirely practical.

I would think that in this case a USB dongle to turn your system into a hotspot would be the simplest and most straightforward option. It may not necessarily have the greatest range, but if it is only going to be used for installing and updating things on the Touch then it shouldn't be a big deal anyway.
  6. botchok5

botchok5 New Member

im trying to find out a way too, can anyone send me a link or what the USB thing is called?
  7. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Here are a few to take a look at by company:

D-Link
    Asus
    Linksys
  8. FauxShow

FauxShow New Member

You don't need to buy a whole new firewall (you can call it a router, since it has routing capabilities, but you're not using it as a router; it's simply a gateway). Simply add an access point to your wired network. I recommend the basic units from Linksys for two reasons: they are very reliable (even before they were bought by Cisco), and there are hacked firmwares available that let you double the power output so you can have incredible range.

I've done internet sharing in the reverse order described in this thread - from a wireless connection onto the wired LAN jack. It's a little complicated setting everything up. So if you're not familiar with the way that subnet masks or even IP addresses in general work, I'm going to highly recommend buying an access point.
  9. chopshop

chopshop New Member

Yeah, thats what I was getting at. I plugged the ethernet from the wired router into a lan(not wan) port of the wireless router and turned off the wired routers DHCP ip addressing. This puts the wireless router as just another part of the original network and lets the original router control ip addressing etc.
  10. FauxShow

FauxShow New Member

Using a wireless gateway/firewall as an access-point is trouble. I've tried doing that several times and it just needlessly complicates things. If the firewall has an access point built in, then just use that.