Looking for decent buds? Look here!

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by APV, Feb 11, 2010.

1. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Sony MDR EX-300's = Amazing!

I see that there are a few people asking for great earphones, I know that there are great earphones, but they can also be expensive. I have owned many pairs of headphones, and one company's set stood out.

Sony MDR-EX300's.

Sony's. I have never seen such beautiful headphones for this cheap, and the sound-quality is amazing. There are those Klipsch ones for $80, but they are ugly. Sounds that are far away sound like they are far away, and the bass is there, but tightly-wound and not loosely drowning out the music. The sound quality of these buds are amazing, very high highs and low lows.

Now, the price. Listed at the SonyStyle website, they cost an OK $80. On Amazon.com they are about $47 with free shipping. THIS is the most money I have ever spent on headphones. (I've gotten expensive headphones as gifts though...)

As I said before, these headphones are beautiful, they are. I think they are the best looking headphones made by Sony, the two models that sell for a lot more $$$ look kinda worse than these ones... Granted, they probably sound better, but thats what you expect for $300 headphones.

Pictures: (I didn't take these.)

Please Register or Log in to view images

It has one of the only headphones connectors that fits into my iPhone while it's in its Speck Candyshell, which is also a plus.

The box includes:
    -Different sized hybrid-silicon earbuds (s,m,l)
    -Silicon cord length adjuster
    -Case+weird plastic thing that winds up and holds the headphones and cable
    -Manuals and warranty information
    -And headphones, duh.

The headphones DO NOT have an iPhone/iPod touch Mic and Volume controls.

In conclusion, very good headphones.

Buy them now:

Amazon:

Black
    - http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX300-BLK-Vertical-Headphones/dp/B001RB24PK/

White
    - http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX300-WHI-Vertical-Headphones/dp/B001RB24Q4/

Enjoy.
  2. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

lol, how are the klipschs ugly?

also, these are superior to your posted buds
  3. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

I think the Klipsch's are very sexayyy...
  4. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    The Klipsch's are just bland, basic, ugly.

How does that compare to the looks of the Ex-300's?

The Ex-300's look cooler. And, across the specs board are better than the Klipsch ones anyway.

And, those headphones you posted a link to actually have worse specs. Everything is the same except the Ex-300's frequency response is 5Hz - 24kHz (instead of your posted 15Hz - 22kHz), and the drivers are 13.5mm (instead of your posted 9mm.)

When you look at all three pairs of $80 headphones (Sony Ex-300's, Klipsch image S4's, and the "Head-Direct Reo's,") The Sony's win specs-wise, and look the best out of all of them anyway. If I was someone buying a new pair of $80 headphones, and had to choose from the three, I think I know which one would win. Klipsch is just a popular brand, and the S4's are just there cheap headphones. If the name intrigues you then go for it, but they wont sound as good/or look as good anyway.

Anybody have anything else?
  5. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Specs mean absolutely nothing...
  6. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    When do they mean absolutely nothing? ARE YOU CRAZY?
  7. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well frequency responses mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and tells you nothing about whether it sounds better.
  8. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

You know that you are talking to the "headphone mod" that is a million times more knowledgeable at headphone than you are, Rite?
    you should also take a look here, the IEM's range is rarely mentioned but how the lows, mids and highs sound is mentioned every time
  9. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Yes, You could say that personal opinion can factor in to how good headphones sound, and between them there is probably barely a noticeable difference... Maybe the Ex-300's are only good for jazz or Instrumentals and the S4's are only good with electronic or Hip/Hop, so really I could be curving people's minds into buying headphones not for their genre, but all around these headphones are great, from a company I have trusted for essentially my whole life (instead of Etymotic or Sennheisser, etc... pfft), and that's why I didn't resort to using the spec's until I needed to fight back with someone; you can't measure personal opinion.

I completely understand what you are saying.

I thought I mentioned the highs and lows and such in my very first post, but whatever...
  10. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

its not how high and low it can go, but the quality of the highs and lows, if there is too much bass, then the sound is muddled and the highs should be there but not harsh