Looking for an answer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Baker5, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    If you are using a iPhone 3GS without a data plan please state what firmware youre on, if youre jailbroken, and any other things that you do. I want to purchase a iPhone but want to make sure this will work.
  2. ircmaster

ircmaster New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You can't buy an iPhone without a data plan unless you use another provider other than AT&T. If you're not going to use the data plan you'd be better off buying an iPod touch anyway
  3. boncelee

boncelee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    1. yes you can buy an iPhone without a data plan.
    2. not everyone lives in USA.
    3. no you're not necessarily better off buying an iPod touch if you're not going to use a data plan.

1a. I bought mine direct from Apple Store. It is unlocked. I have used it in 3 different countries with both pre-paid and post-paid sim cards without issue.
    2a. I'm from Australia - the whole world doesn't revolve around AT&T
    3a. Different countries have different access rates, some are not worthwhile connecting to, some are very worthwhile. These also can be pre-paid or post-paid.
    In Australia its hideously expensive. Here in Malaysia its a bargain. You never know where you may find yourself. Your choice could deny a good opportunity.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. enyahs

enyahs Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I bought one that was slightyly used on craigslist.. Sometimes you will get lucky because now people are trying to get rid of them to get an iphone 4. Just make sure you check it out before you actually buy it off them. I am running 3.1.3 on mine, jailbroken with spirit and unlocked with ultrasnow. Working perfectly on T-Mobile. I used my gf's att sim to activate it, it took about 5 minutes. Good luck!
  5. T0xicH4zard

T0xicH4zard New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Im using 4.0, not jailbroken, and i live in the US and i dont have a data plan (but i might be getting one) and everything works fine
  6. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Good to see that it works. Might still try it if I can't get the new AT&T captivate
  7. mahesh

mahesh New Member

If you are using a iPhone 3GS without a data plan please state what firmware youre on, if youre jailbroken, and any other things that you do. I want to purchase a iPhone but want to make sure this will work.
  8. mrez

mrez Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    question, im about to get my iphone onto T-Mobile, how are the Data speeds on their network?
  9. boncelee

boncelee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    To add further to my earlier post:

3GS
    Version 4.0
    Not Jailbroken, never has been

Currently in Malaysia on Celcom
    I use a weekly pre-paid data plan. No fixed plan. Just like buying a top-up card.
    This i can isolate safely with the "Cellular Data" on/off switch provided in the 4.0 software.
    When i go back to Australia i can easily flick the switch off to avoid the high data costs there.
  10. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Depends where you are. But they are reasonable if your in a good area..