Looking for a certain SMS mod

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by JoeC2106, Feb 22, 2010.

1. JoeC2106

JoeC2106 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hi guys i've been into jailbreaking for a while now but until recently i only had an ipod touch. I recently got an iphone and discovered a problem with the text messaging. I've found that when having conversations that consist of quite long messages it can be a bit of a pain scrolling up and down when the bubble could be stretched over all of the screen rather than just half of it, more like a wlm/msn kind of thing if you get me?

It seems kind of pointless to have half of the sms screen to be empty, just so the sender and receiver can go on opposite sides.

I dont know if i've explained that very clearly haha, but hopefuly you'll know what i mean and be able to recommend something so that the messages are the full width of the screen. Thanks!
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well, either way, there will still be empty space if your messages are short.

I don't have much empty spaces because we don't send simple messages like "lol" all the time.

(I'm not saying you did that, it's just an example)
  3. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    That is a really good idea. I'm going to class-dump the MobileSMS binary and poke through it in a hex editor and see what I find...
  4. JoeC2106

JoeC2106 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeh i dont mind about empty space if its a short message, its just when your sending long messages and you have to scroll to see it, it doesnt make much sense when it could just be taking up the other half of the screen, it can get quite annoying with really long messages

Brilliant

Please Register or Log in to view images

Good luck with that! unfortunately i'm clueless so can't offer any help haha but please keep me updated if theres anything you can do

5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    On second thought, this isn't all that necessary IMO, as the SMS app does a good job of scaling the message balloons based on message length. I'll still give it a shot, though
  6. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have no idea how to make it happen, but what would you want it to look like?

I'm kinda confused on how you want the layout / chat to look like.
  7. JoeC2106

JoeC2106 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i've attached a picture trying to explain a little, i should probably have done it with the keyboard up as well really as it then applies to shorter messages because there is less screen space. But the red box is where i think the bubble could be, just taking up more screen space really literally so more words can fit on.

It's not a major problem at all so there's no need to spend a long time looking into it, i was just wondering if there was a little mod that changed the bubbles to full screen, as the empty space seemed kind of pointless. The bubbles are different coloured so it would still be easy to distinguish between the sender and receiver but the screen space would be used better in my opinion.

As i said, it's no big deal really, just something nice that might mean less scrolling when your trying to read/reply to a message. Thanks for checking anyway guys!

Edit: I've just noticed is it is actually much more obvious in landscape mode! which i use more for the bigger keyboard. the bubbles don't even come half way across the screen. Should have done the screenshot in landscape really as that amplifies the problem much more.

Attached Files:

8. magic8ball88

magic8ball88 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I know what you're talking about and I saw a text app in the app store that had really wide bubbles. I don't know of any mod like that but maybe you could figure a way to make the default SMS app look like that.
  9. magic8ball88

magic8ball88 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Is that sorta what your looking for? This is a screenshot of TextFree from the app store. But the bubbles cross over the half way line more.

Attached Files:

10. JoeC2106

JoeC2106 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeh that kind of looks better, do you know how it deals with longer messages though? it looks like the width of the bubble could still be the same and just moved over, rather than actually made wider to fit more text in. I'll check it out anyway, see if it does fix the problem. i didnt realise how many sms apps there were. thanks