Login to Wifi when needing username/password

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ospring87, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ospring87

ospring87 New Member

At my school we need to input our username and password when connecting to our wifi.

I tried to connect the ipod touch but it is only asking for me to enter a password and doesn't as for a username.

Does anyone know how I can input my username and therefore access the internet there?
    Lhynwie Pasasadaba likes this.
  2. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Its probably lacking the plugin or rendering the javascript wrong for your login page... I've run into the same problem trying to access some wifi portals - sadly, I know of no reliable way to make it work. When that happens, I reach for the EVDO-enabled WM phone...
  3. ospring87

ospring87 New Member

It isn't a webpage that I use to login to the network on a normal laptop. We have to manually set up our wireless for the network on a laptop, would I Have to do that for the ipod to and if so is there a way to input my username?
  4. 1god1king

1god1king New Member

click setting /wifi then 'other' located at bottom of list of networks
    will ask for " network name" enter your network name

then "security' tap to the right where it say's NONE Tap this will take you to where you can choose the type of security you are using so now pick your security

once you have done that tap " other network" in top left hand corner will take you back
    to other network page this time will be a spot for you to enter your password so enter your password then hit join
    located at bottom right
  5. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ah... yeah, you would think you could do that if its WEP or WPA. Do Other Networks under settings/wireless, and fill in the correct info for your security.
  6. River

River New Member

What kind of login is it trying to use?
  7. ospring87

ospring87 New Member

I think we us WPA.

Thanks for the tips 1god1king but I need to enter my username somewhere. We have to put our username and password for the network in order to join the wifi at my school.
  8. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No matter how hard I try to parse this, it still comes up as

"HUH?"

Maybe you could walk us through exactly what you do now on say a laptop or desktop to "join the wifi"

In place of your actual user name, say "UserName", and password, say "Password" - other then that do tell me exactly what applications you launch and where/when you put your username/password in.

Thanks.
  9. ospring87

ospring87 New Member

I'm not sure exactly each instruction as I'm not at school right now and don't have access to the directions.

But we have to do is manually add the network into the wireless settings.

We go into wireless settings and add the domain "moco" into the available wireless hotspots. It will not show up automatically on the laptops but we rather have to add it into the available access spots ourself. In here we set it to WPA.

Once we do that and it connects to the wireless a login box pops onto the screen asking for the domain, our username and our password.

Once we do this we can then access the internet. That is on a laptop.
  10. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ah gotcha - thanks, makes sense now. That's your Windows Domain Login.

However, you should be able to browse the internet just fine if you just create the WPA network with the right settings on your ipod touch, without loging into the Domain.

The Windows Domain Login stuff is so you can access network shares and whatnot. It happens *after* your notebook or PC is already on the wireless network with a valid ip address.

Bottom line, unless they are doing something funky, you should be able to just set up the WPA stuff, and connect.

You might need to set a proxy for safari - check your laptop browser and see if it has a proxy setting if you get the connection working but still can't seem to browse any websites.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.