Logically easy?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Toastable, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Toastable

Toastable New Member

Since most of the .apps are coded in html and c++
    could someone create a basic c++ compiler for the iTouch as an app for developing on the go?
    http://www.intap.net/~drw/cpp/cpp02_02.htm

That's a site that uses g++ as a compiler and can be run on an Unix system. Wouldn't the BSD subsystem app allow that to compile and run? I don't know much about c++, i plan to learn it though. Only problem is I'm away from my house a lot.
    Edit: nevermind, i doubt that the iTouch could run the compiled exes.
    Could this idea be ported into python or perl then?
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

The apps are programmed in Objective-C. And while there are a few out there utilizing Objectve-C++, or C++ for that matter, it wouldn't really be worth it to port a C++ Compiler and Linker. Especially since the compiled toolchain takes up about 1GB of Space.
  3. Toastable

Toastable New Member

Is it possible though? I might look into it for developing myself.
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I can't think of anybody who'd want to type out the code into their iPod. If you look at the source code for the Bluetooth.app toy I posted in this same subforum, you'll see that that is realistically the bare minimum amount of code yo make an app run.

Typing that out, and formatting it (because non formatted code can be very difficult to read) would be too much of a pain for most people, I'd presume. Especially with the ease of making typos on the iPod/iPhone. you'd have to program in an AutoCorrection feature on your own. It would also have to be smart enough to not replace code variables with "words."

Bluetooth.app Source Code
  5. H3X

H3X New Member

Yeah, the compiler is way to big.