Logical Future For The iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Apple Discussions, Rumours and Speculation' started by mossme89, Jul 16, 2008.

1. mossme89

mossme89 Member

I see many threads about the future of the iPod Touch, but has anybody thought of the iPod Touch becoming upgradable to an iPhone.....?

I personally think that since it is becoming so cheap to make phones now, that apple will sort of combine the iPod Touch and the iPhone. By this, i mean that the new iPod Touch would have all the hardware of the iphone, just maybe its disabled, and you can get it enabled by signing up for service with AT&T.

If you think about it, this makes more sense, as the iphone without the phone IS the ipod touch, and AT&T would probably get more customers this way...
  2. f1av0rflave

f1av0rflave Banned

what your saying is allowing people to buy the 3g iphone without service now and getting rid of the touch. this is not going to happen
  3. mossme89

mossme89 Member

i'm saying maybe somehow disabling the phone hardware until people activate it
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The main reason the iPhone 3G is $199 is that is it subsidized by its cell providers. It would not be subsizied if people didn't sign up for a two-year contact upon purchase.
  5. mossme89

mossme89 Member

but couldnt they sell the iphone for an iPod Touch price (maybe a little more expensive), and just disable the phone part?
  6. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    They're going to be selling the iPhone 3G without a contract for $599 and $699 I believe.
  7. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Then the iPhone would be less attractive to people who are hesitant to cough up $400 for a phone or iPod. The iPod touch's price will most likely drop soon, so we shouldn't use it for comparison.
  8. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yup, thats the price. Its also $100 more than the normal subsidized prices if you leave your old contract early.thats horrifically expensive. Theres no way I'd buy a phone for that much.
  9. wazup692006

wazup692006 New Member

well you can buy some iphones without contract on ebay buyt thats about it i havent seen one elsewhere without a contract and it is still expenseve in buy it now the cheepist i found for 3G was around 750$ and the first gen was around 300$
  10. potroast32

potroast32 Banned

That's pretty much what happens right now, unless you pay like $700 let's be logical