Logic behind no mail App?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by marlman, Nov 18, 2007.

1. marlman

marlman Member

Can someone please explain the logic behind not having a mail app on the Ipod touch?

I really dont understand why its a brilliant piece of kit and I love it but a mail app would really be a killer app.

I know I can jailbreak it and put one on but dont want to do that I am happy with what it does now.
  2. Vasily

Vasily Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You see, Apple made those apps strictly for the iPhone and made iPod touch to advertise the awesome functions of the iPhone without actually letting ppl use their apps. It would be the stupidest thing for them to put it on the iTouch for most ppl consider the iPhone over the iTouch because of mail/weather/notes/stocks. Mail being available through jailbreak is awesome and lets you keep those extra 100 bucks

Please Register or Log in to view images

Ps. I still love my iTouch considering the fact that i said it was an advertisement

I might not be so but my explanation is close to the point.
  3. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

The logic is that this is an iPod, not a PDA, not a phone. It doesn't need mail. The only reason the iPod has Safari at all is to a) facilitate a mobile iTunes store, and b) allow YouTube to work.
  4. weirdwilli

weirdwilli New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    And seperate it from other ipods
  5. Vasily

Vasily Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Like one great man said:

6. MikeVDS

MikeVDS New Member

I respectfully disagree. I think Jobs and the Apple design team for iPhone and iTouch knew exactly what they were doing. I think they are revolutionizing portable computing with these devices and planned all along to increase their functionality, thus the development packages. With iTunes and downloadable apps coming soon you can make the iPhone/iTouch as productive as you want simply by downloading the application as you now do with music via iTunes. I think it's a brilliant strategy, and eventhough people can do all that now with jailbreak, I'll bet the majority of owners (especially down the line) will simply not bother with jailbreak and join the millions of iTune downloaders and just download the apps they need or want through Apple. All we are doing now with jailbreak is demoing how easy it can and will be done in the future. JMHO.
  7. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

there is no mail app to distinguish it from the iPhone, and because, as we are forgetting...It's an iPod. The first generation iPod. Do you think anyone would have dreamed that it would evolve into a 8mm thin device with this amazingly cool multi-touch with internet access with a color screen? No. Remember, it's main purpose is music. Mail has absolutely nothing to do with music.
  8. MikeVDS

MikeVDS New Member

I don't care what they call it. I didn't buy it to have an other iPod with a cool interface. I already have a 60g iPod for music. I bought the 8gig iTouch for the wifi and portable internet access around the house, shop and on trips with a really sweet interface. Having email is just a big bonus. I still think they ought to market it as a portable wifi unit that just happens to play YouTube, videos and music. As a primary iPod for music and movies, it's capacity is way too small, imho.