Lock button broken?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Midgetto52, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Midgetto52

Midgetto52 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey everyone,

I dropped my iPod touch (2G, obviously, not entirely positive on the exact hardware number (2.x.x)) on concrete stairs today and it landed on a corner and managed to mess up the lock/sleep button on the top. From what I can tell, it dented the casing around the button so that my iPod thinks that it's constantly being pushed down.

I got it for Christmas last year, I believe, so I think it's still in its warranty stage, but would it be covered? Yes, it's a hardware error, but it was my mistake, as unlucky as it was. This was essentially the first time I had dropped it; it just happened to hit a bad spot.

If it wouldn't be under warranty to receive a new one, would this be something they'd be able to fix? Better yet, would this be something *I* would be able to fix? As far as I can tell, that glass screen should pop right out...

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Adam

tl;dr:
    dropped my iPod, now the lock button is stuck. Warranty covered? If not, how do I fix it?
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

3. Midgetto52

Midgetto52 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for link. Are there any other places to take it if it's not under the Apple store's warranty? Or are they able to fix it without it being under warranty and they could just charge me...?
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

5. Midgetto52

Midgetto52 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeesh, yeah. United States, here, so it would be either 150 or 200$, which seems a little ridiculous just to fix one little button. ;_;
    Does no one know of a way to self-fix it? I'd be willing to pop off the glass case if that's what it takes, but I'd just like to know what I'd be looking for.
  6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Well, I guess if you can pop the screen out, you can try to force the dent the other way, I think that's the only way you can fix it though.