Location Tracking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by Jordan, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Has anyone got location tracking to work on the iPod. Because some apps look good, but require location tracking, and it's never worked for me, on 1.1.4, 2.0, 2.01, or 2.02.

I've tryed restoring.

It's never even worked in the Maps application. Any ideas? Help would be appreciated
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Move somewhere with lots of wifi networks
  3. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How would that work?
  4. cainy

cainy New Member

it does work if I push the locate me button in maps it will bring up a target right above my house, in the UK btw never thought our ISPs supported all the geolocation stuff
  5. zerolight

zerolight New Member

The itouch doesn't have gps, only the iPhone 3g has that. So locate me generally just jumps to your post code. It is possible to train it to learn locations of different wifi networks, but that's not really the same thing. IF you had the 3g phone then clicking locate me would track your position by GPS.
  6. eqtitan

eqtitan New Member

It's called Skyhook and it is now being used among other things to track anyone and anything that sends out a beacon (signal) to a wireless device. unannounced to consumers all wireless device give off a "hook" to see if there are any open networks within range, even if you can not connect to the wireless base stations they still recognize your request and can virtual trianglulate your Geographical location. It's like ground based gps but called xps. Mine has it right on my house.

As long as you're near some sort of wifi you can be found or "hooked". There was a big discussion about Skyhook and the use of the Patriot Act this year at the H.O.P.E. (Hackers On Planet Earth) convention. Big brother is watching you, and the only way to not let them watch is by removing your battery (oh thats right the I(insert name here) can't be removed as easily as a cell battery).

Another thing to add is that when Skyhook receives wifi data of a new wifi hotspot it basically uses the device that found the new hot spots info into it's XPS system.

Terminator Reference from (HOPE) is this is the beginning of SkyNet
  7. Anonymouslyanonymous

Anonymouslyanonymous Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I just found out that the ipod actually keeps all the skyhook wifi database on the ipod. Which means all you have to do is download offlinemaps and then you can use quasi-gps mostly everywhere. All without the need to have a working internet connection.