Location Services Incorrect

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xbillyx, Apr 25, 2010.

1. xbillyx

xbillyx New Member

I'm having a weird problem. I live in Canada and when I'm here location based services do not work correctly, ever. My location is Charlottetown, PE but it either says it can't find my location or thinks I'm in Toronto. Completely inaccurate. It also doesn't matter which WiFi hotspot I jump on. I've been on tons in Charlottetown and it's always wrong.

However, when I'm in the US anywhere it's worked fine all the time.

I have a 2nd gen iTouch.

Any idea why this is happening?
  2. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Do you have wifi at your house? If so you need to register your routers MAC address on this site: http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php
    I was having the same problem and I put registered mine on that site a few days ago, but it's takes about a week according to them. It's definetly worth a shot.
  3. xbillyx

xbillyx New Member

I just filled that out so hopefully that'll help for my house. But, why do I have problems at ALL the cafes I go to in town?
  4. annemarieks

annemarieks New Member

I'm having the same problem with my 2nd gen Touch. It mostly works OK, but yesterday I was at a local cafe and used their free wifi to check in on Gowalla, but my iPod thought I was in Kansas City (I am about 400 miles west of there!) Maybe it has something to do with the cafe's ISP, but now I can't get my iPod to recognized I'm NOT in KC, even if I'm on a local company's wifi, like my employer or even at home. I've tried the Reset Network Settings, but it doesn't work. Help!
  5. wbertacchini

wbertacchini New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So I have been on line with Qwest for about a half an hour asking various question about the location of my modem, and why when I moved it from my other address (location), my Ipod still locate me at my old address. They swear that it is not built in somewhere in the modem/router, but is located somewhere in my settings on my Ipod that I did not change. I have done a complete reset (Reset All Settings) and it still takes me to my old address. So what am I missing? All other locations that I go to it finds correctly on the maps app.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I registered my wifi modem on skyhook, so will let you know if it changes. It said that it could take a week to do this.
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Is it supposed to freeze?
  7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

8. geniouslin

geniouslin New Member

is it possible that there is some sort of VPN vervice involved?