Location feature Help and question.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Gelicious, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Gelicious

Gelicious New Member

Ok I have my ipod touch jailbroken on 2.1 firmware. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a problem with linksys wifi routers or Chater Communications Cable internet service that would not allow the location feature to read correctly? I can't get a location at all using the maps application. It says unable to locate at this time. But using apps like Twinkle and other proximity applications it seems to think Im in Gresham, Oregon Which is about 150 miles away. Im guessing this is my ISP's server location. Even then its not an exact location, just the city.

I traveled to Bend, Oregon to visit my mother and her home network was setup by me just like the one at my house. Only difference is the ISP. Hers is BendBroadband. The location feature worked perfectly in all aspects and on all apps at her house. I have tried multiple locations here in Newport, Oregon and cannot seem to get the feature to work. Could every one of the locations Ive tried here use Charter Cable?

Anyone heard anything?
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Unless you are where the ipod is picking up multiple wifi signals it's going to have a tough time. Picking up several wifi signals and calculating the location is how it works.
  3. Gelicious

Gelicious New Member

At home I do pick up different wifi signals. They are all encrypted. Does that matter?
  4. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    People have mentioned it needing open networks but i can't confirm or deny that. Next time you are downtown give it a try but that might not even work. I drove from LA up Hwy 1 to Seattle a few months ago and if I recall Newport wasn't very big. If that doesn't work and you happen to go to Salem or somewhere give it a try.
  5. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    no iPod uses the macaddresses of wlans. Perhaps the app has no wifilocation data for your city..so it can't calculate position
  6. Gelicious

Gelicious New Member

Its possible. Newport is a tourist town on the coast but its amazingly small and out of the way. Perhaps its just too "po-dunk" for This amazing new technology!