Location-based Apps Not Locating

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cell-gfx, Sep 12, 2008.

1. cell-gfx

cell-gfx New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm currently trying to use Maps and other location-based services on my home wifi connection, but the service never seems to be able to locate me.

Is there anything it needs to be able to do this other than a wifi connection? Do more wifi signals in the area help?

cell
  2. Nawaaz91

Nawaaz91 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    i have never been able to use locate me. on the 1G and not in this 2G i have now.

I just look for the next street and type it in. Although I don't know why it doesn't work.
  3. 1adam1

1adam1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    you probably need more than one wifi signal for TRIangulation. also the ones near you may not be mapped out yet.
  4. Wil

Wil New Member

If you're not in a big town or you're in a more urban setting then chances are your wifi hotspots haven't been mapped yet. How it works is this company, SkyHookWireless drives around detecting SSID (named) wireless hotspots and then logs them and the GPS location to a database. When you use a location-bassed application it pulls the SSID's around the area from the database and "triangulates" your location. It's not accurate all the time and it works only in big cities with several hotspots to pull from, but it's still pretty accurate when you do have those two things.
  5. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    works great for me, but its rare there are less than 5 wifi signals around